Student searching for sub-$100 portable circumaural unicorn (long-winded post)
Sep 2, 2013 at 2:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mimzee

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi'ers,

So I just joined because despite reading reviews and browsing the head-fi boards for months, I'm an incredibly indecisive person and just. cannot. narrow down my choices/make a darn purchase. I could really use your help, even though I know coming to an audiophile board and asking for opinions on low-budget headphones is like going to a car enthusiast board and asking which model year of used Toyota Corolla to buy. Anyway, here's what I'm looking for, in an incredibly long-winded format:

1. Sub-US$100 price point. I am an incredibly clumsy person and am also really hard on my electronics (on accident, like that time I tripped, dropped, and stepped on my cell phone, or when I was trying to remove my last pair of super cheap supra-aurals from my backpack but didn't realize they were trapped under my textbooks, and snapped the headband in half). IEMs tend to last me about a year and then fail (even if in perfect physical condition), and anything with a headband even less. If I break this pair of headphones in the first year or two, I don't want to cry too much about it, though I'd really like to own these headphones for the next five or six years. Note: I'm not looking at the MSRP here. I mean "costs less than $100 through Amazon Prime".
  2. Closed back, circumaural. I anticipate a lot of library use for 5+ hours at a time, which means comfort is important, as is passive noise isolation. But if I happen to wear them out in public (infrequent, as I don't take public transportation), I want to be able to listen over the city streets.
  3. Clear, somewhat neutral sound. I really dislike prominent highs, they give me a headache, but I've also been using a pair of those Bose IEMs with the fins from Costco as a stop-gap and I think they are too recessed - I have to turn the sound up really loudly just to hear voices and distinguish what they're saying through the background music. Which reminds me - I'll be listening to a LOT of tv and movies through these headphones. A lot. The kind with talking and dramatic music in the background, not explosions. I also listen to a lot of classic broadway musicals, with female vocalists. And I plan on doing television/film editing through these headphones, plugged into my school's editing lab with a 1/4" adapter. However, the flip side is that I listen to a lot of EDM (e.g., Skrillex, Nero, that one "Clarity" song) when I'm studying, and so I tend to enjoy some wub-wub like the best of them. And when I'm listening for enjoyment, I listen to a lot of '90s alt-rock, which means guitars. I'm not a gamer, though, so it's okay if the soundstage isn't pinpoint-accurate, at least.
  4. Highly portable. This has been a sticking point with a lot of the headphones I'm interested in, such as the Creative Aurvana Live, for two reasons. 1) I don't care about the actual size of the actual headphones when in use (caveat: my mom has an ancient pair of AKG K240's she uses for tv, and those are too big for me both aesthetically, and physically (the headband doesn't stay small enough and the earcups are too large)) but I'm pretty sure that for my wallet's sake, I need a pair of headphones that folds up really nicely, or folds flat and has a decent protective case. The exceptions that I've been considering are V-Moda Crossfade LP's (they come with a hard case and a bunch of other nice things that I need anyway) or the Philips/O'Neill SHO9560 "The Stretch" (because they look cute and I'm vain and they could probably take a beating). I know neither of those is ideal from a sound profile perspective, though, but I keep coming back to them and batting my lashes at them anyway. The V-Modas are the only headphones over $100 I am considering, due mostly to their stellar Amazon reviews. 2) I also have been avoiding studio monitor headphones because 6.5'+ of cord is just too much (I'm bloody 5'2") - though studio monitors-esque are probably fine if they've got a removable/replaceable shorter cord.
  1. Un-amped performance. I'm not buying an amp or a DAC. I'm just not. I'm a lazy consumer. So these headphones need to work well off-the-shelf, driven by my Macbook Pro, or my 2nd gen iPod Touch, or on occasion by my really crappy Motorola Atrix 2. My cell phone and the computers in my school's editing lab don't have EQ settings, so I don't want a pair of headphones that "really great when it's EQ'ed out!". I'd prefer headphones that are "pretty good" by themselves. That means if you want to suggest "lifestyle headphones" (other than Beats, obviously), be my guest. I don't want to deal with the hassle of modifying the headphones if it goes beyond added covers that I can buy cheaply online. I don't listen to music very loudly - I use it at the lowest volume that can still accomplish my purpose (hearing the sound).
  2. I have a relatively small head - it's long vertically, but narrow width-wise, and I generally use headphones about zero to one click down from the smallest setting.

A couple headphones of the many I've eliminated so far:
Philips Uptown (reviews seemed to indicate sound quality was so-so, and everyone kvetched about the awful volume toggle)
Koss ProDJ100 (the cord is 8' long?!)
Sony something-something-7506 (cord is long, apparently the earcups degrade, they're kind of ugly, I'm a little vain)
Any of the XB models or AKG models (they look pretty big, my ears are taller than they are wide)

If I've forgotten anything, please let me know :p. If you head-fi'ers have suggestions for what my unicorn could be, I'd love to hear it! Especially in time for any labor day sales :D.

Sep 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Sony 7506 and V6 are built like tanks and have been used by film/TV studio professionals for years and years. Hard to find something with their build quality for under $100.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 8
Can either of them easily swap out their cords/cables for shorter cables? That was the main reason I eliminated both - I couldn't find an answer to that question, and the 8'/11' cable length is frankly ridiculous to me.

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:31 PM Post #4 of 8
http://www.amazon.com/Bennett-TBSE1-Signature-Edition-Headphone/dp/B005K5I9QW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_2

The Koss Pro Dj 100 TBSE version, I hear it is a remake of the Koss Pro Dj200 that I tried and enjoyed very much, I belive the TBSE comes with a neat little case and lots of extra's not to mention they may fold as well. like the Pro Dj cans do.

As far as cable length goes, I find that wraping a headphone cord  like you do with Vaccume Cleaners works very well, use rubber band in the middle to keep the length manageable and remove any strain from the cable  

Sep 2, 2013 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 8
Wow...you kinda want it ALL. LOL  How about maybe considering the JVC HA-S400 or 500 and getting some HM5 pads to make an overear phone? Just a thought. But they require a LOT of burn in.

Sep 2, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Wow...you kinda want it ALL. LOL  How about maybe considering the JVC HA-S400 or 500 and getting some HM5 pads to make an overear phone? Just a thought. But they require a LOT of burn in.

Hence the search for a "unicorn" :wink:. If I had to prioritize, it would be 1) sound+form factor/durability 2) budget 3) comfort, 4) portability, but I love creative suggestions like yours. Are you referring to the Brainwavz HM5? Where would I find those (replacement) pads?

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Sony 7506 and V6 are built like tanks and have been used by film/TV studio professionals for years and years. Hard to find something with their build quality for under $100.

^ this ...
Quote:
Can either of them easily swap out their cords/cables for shorter cables? That was the main reason I eliminated both - I couldn't find an answer to that question, and the 8'/11' cable length is frankly ridiculous to me.

First of all, the cable is coiled.  So if it's not flexed, it's only about 3 ft long.  Second, any DIY-er worth his/her salt should be able to re-cable them in an instant.  You could probably do it yourself with a knife and a little practice soldering. Simply slice off the cable about a foot from the can and re-terminate into a 3.5mm jack.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back