Stuck what to upgrade first (headphone and/or amp)
Mar 5, 2024 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

xDev

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm using a Hifiman Sundara since almost 3 years. It's running on a very cheap Sharkoon Gaming DAC Pro S V2 but that small Dongle is ok and has enough power to run the Sundara even at high volumes. I'm using the headphones for music (Tidal) of many genres and for gaming (not compatitive) on my PC. I'm using equalizer APO and Peace to EQ the Sundara. Basically I'm using EQ setting from reddit and tweaked them just a little more. The Sundara by default was abit to bright for me and was missing something in the low end. It's much better with EQ.

I like the Sundara. The sound is good and the comfort, which is very important for me, is also fine. But I would like to upgrade. I guess this cheap dac/amp dongle might be to bad to run some better headphone without limiting the quality. But before buying a better dac/amp I should know what might come next?!

I was thinking about the Qudelix T71 to have a small dac/amp that comes with a parametric EQ so I could connect it also with my working laptop and still have the EQ applied. But I have no clue if that dongle dac/amp is good enough for some of the more expensive headphones out there. I'm not a big fan of the big desktop dac/amps. They usually don't come with the inputs/outputs that I would like to connect everything and easy switch between devices. Like PC or Macbook to speakers or headphones. Since my speakers (Nubert nuPro A-200) are great using digital input but abit annoying using analog input like 90% of all dacs are not fitting anyway. A dongle like the Qudelix sounds good for me but as I said, I don't know if they are really good for expensive equipment. For the Sundara they are basically too much since they cost as much as the Sundara itself. The Questyle M15 might also be an option but has no EQ and might sound similar? If a desktop dac/amp I was looking for the smaller ones like the Topping DX3 Pro+.

About headphones, I'm up to pay more instead of going through multiple headphones. I know that it's better to have more than one headphone since none is perfect for all kind of music but atm I'm still more looking for an allrounder since there is not much space and don't really feel like switching headphones all the time.

I was watching meany reviews about the new Hifiman Arya Organic. They might be really good for me and was already very close to order them. I don't have a big head, maybe they might not fit well for me. The Arya has this huge headband which make it sooo big which is not so nice too. But the look is not so important at the end.

The ModHouse Tungsten looks interessting too. Might be difficult to get these in germany. Not sure about the comfort. The dongle dac/amp might be to weak to power them.

I was even checking a few reviews about the Abyss Diana MR which should be total overkill for me but was looking very interessting. That they are using non standard connectors is almost a nogo. A replacement cable is 600€ since I think there are no 3rd party cables. But I like that they are small and slim with very good sound. Also saw some reviews about the Empyrean 2 which is very good with super comfort and great build quality but is also big and might also be total overkill.

What is better. Getting a new dac/amp first to be able to use a new headphone on a proper dac/amp from the beginning or search for better headphones and then search for a good fitting dac/amp? Also happy to hear some specific products you can recommend.

Mar 5, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Welcome to headfi.

Buy headphones first, then amp after.

Hifiman is nice if you like clarity and soundstage. An Arya is a noticeable step up from a Sundara, but so is the Edition XS.

If you like a warmer sound, I would look at other headphones.

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:45 AM Post #3 of 7
Problem is, I might not run new headphones properly on my cheap dac dongle. The power could be ok but not sure how much the dac limits the sound quality.

Many reviews about the new Arya organic where like it is warmer compared with many other Hifiman and older Aryas but could be true that Hifiman in general might be abit to bright for me without EQ. The Sundara could have sometimes abit more punch but I don't need a bass head headphone. I like the wider soundstage. If I need to focus on work I 'm using the B&W PX8. They are good. But if I don't need to block noises I prefer the Sundaras. Thats a reason for me to consider the Qudelix T71 which offers a great EQ and I could use the Sundara on my Macbook Pro and still have my EQ settings a better dac chip and more power for upcoming headphones.

Mar 6, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd first get something better like the SMSL DL200 which I think it is a great value since it's also a 5 volt output DAC, and the onboard one has solid power for the Sundara or anything else you'll likely get. The direct upgrade within reason is the Hifiman Ananda Stealth, which is between the Sundara and the Arya Stealth which is end game for anyone (who doesn't have enough for the Dan Clark Stealth). I've had almost the entire Hifiman line for the business and had a chance to compare them at the same time. The Topping E50/L50 is another huge win since it's so quiet you can use 10 ohm IEM's, planars, or the 600 ohm Beyers since it's got the same power on both outputs.

Mar 7, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #5 of 7
I have a very limited space on my desk since I'm all the time at my GFs flat since a couple of months. At my home that wouldn't be such an issue. But even with more space a dac & amp stack is nothing I want anyway. I prefer 1 device and if possible a small one. The SMSL DL200 could be already abit to big, since the laptop is right next to my display. That a reason to still consider the Qudelix T71. It has 4V RMS unbalanced and 8V RMS balanced and no clue if the sound is really that different. They all use very similar stock chips. And when I saw the video about DMS talking about that the Questyle M15 replaced all the big bulky dac/amps on his desk. Can't say if the M15 and T71 are similar in sound quality. The T71 has just the big advantage to the chrome extension that allows alot of config and PEQ is needed.

The Dan Clark Stealth is a closed back. I really like bigger and open soundstage of open backs.
I was watching the last days a couple of reviews about the Empyrean 2. Everyone loves the comfort and most are very happy with the sound. Problem is, I'm missing a few HP steps between and it's very difficult to be able to use the comparisons in the reviews with other HPs since I don't know how they sound.
I'm also still very interessed in the Arya Organic but very possible that is too bright and the huge earpads wont fit well for me.

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:46 AM Post #6 of 7
Was yesterday at a hifi store with a big selection. I tested many of the mid to highend HPs for almost 4 hours... Hifimana Arya Organic, Meze Empyrean II, Meze Elite, Meze 109 Pro, Dan Clark E3, Focal Stellar, Focal Clear MG, Austrian Audio for about 2.5k but forgott which one and a few more. Got the qudelix T71 last week and was able to test all of them with the T71.

There was just one problem. They had empy 2 but only the velour pads. They are super comfy but the bass is too thin and I was not sure how much better they will sound with the hybrid pads. The elite with the leather pads was much better for me. I also tested the leather pads on the empy 2 which made them very similar to the elite but that was at the end and I had not much more time to compare the pads for a longer time. Btw the 109 pro are also very good for the price. Super comfy but a very coloured but fun sound. But they don't have a wide soundstage and less detailed.

The Arya Organic was not bad but also abit to bright. The size of the pads was no problem as I expected. They had abit more subbass than the empy 2 with velour but there was not a difference between both. Was good that I was not buying them online.

Focal was nothing for me.
The Dan Clark E3 were good too but not as good as the elite and I didn't like the headstrap system. Was not working well for me.

Since I had no clue how the empy 2 with hybrid pads will sound I didn't took them. The elite as a tester and it was the last one they had and they offered me to buy them for a cheaper price. Was less than a new empy 2. Full warranty, the case but "only" the 2.5mm meze cable and 2 weeks time to come back and upgrade to empy 2 if I want. So I took them. They will get the hybrid pads soon back in stock and I could come to test again. Not sure if I'll spend another day to test other earpads and compare again...
Maybe I'll buy the hybrid pads at some point since leather might be to warm in summer and is abit less comfy over time.

Btw I had to enable active ground in the T71 for unbalanced. When I came home and tested the first time with the 2.5mm cable it was horrible. Active ground fixed that.

Attachments

• elite.jpeg
    elite.jpeg
    231.9 KB · Views: 0
Mar 26, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #7 of 7
Was yesterday at a hifi store with a big selection. I tested many of the mid to highend HPs for almost 4 hours... Hifimana Arya Organic, Meze Empyrean II, Meze Elite, Meze 109 Pro, Dan Clark E3, Focal Stellar, Focal Clear MG, Austrian Audio for about 2.5k but forgott which one and a few more. Got the qudelix T71 last week and was able to test all of them with the T71.

There was just one problem. They had empy 2 but only the velour pads. They are super comfy but the bass is too thin and I was not sure how much better they will sound with the hybrid pads. The elite with the leather pads was much better for me. I also tested the leather pads on the empy 2 which made them very similar to the elite but that was at the end and I had not much more time to compare the pads for a longer time. Btw the 109 pro are also very good for the price. Super comfy but a very coloured but fun sound. But they don't have a wide soundstage and less detailed.

The Arya Organic was not bad but also abit to bright. The size of the pads was no problem as I expected. They had abit more subbass than the empy 2 with velour but there was not a difference between both. Was good that I was not buying them online.

Focal was nothing for me.
The Dan Clark E3 were good too but not as good as the elite and I didn't like the headstrap system. Was not working well for me.

Since I had no clue how the empy 2 with hybrid pads will sound I didn't took them. The elite as a tester and it was the last one they had and they offered me to buy them for a cheaper price. Was less than a new empy 2. Full warranty, the case but "only" the 2.5mm meze cable and 2 weeks time to come back and upgrade to empy 2 if I want. So I took them. They will get the hybrid pads soon back in stock and I could come to test again. Not sure if I'll spend another day to test other earpads and compare again...
Maybe I'll buy the hybrid pads at some point since leather might be to warm in summer and is abit less comfy over time.

Btw I had to enable active ground in the T71 for unbalanced. When I came home and tested the first time with the 2.5mm cable it was horrible. Active ground fixed that.

Congratulations on the Elite. It's an excellent headphone, well loved by many, including myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back