STUCK Shure e3cs
Feb 17, 2006 at 4:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

elec999

New Head-Fier
I got my pair of e3cs of a headfi member, Great guy.
The only problem is Ive got. I am stuck. I playd around for hours with fittings, watched flash videos, read book several times, even my got my friend to test my headphones. Tried different devices, home steroes, my IPOD, three other IPODs, Ipod mini, video. I can tell the headphones are cancelling the noise,when on, with no music playing. Its like sticking noise stoppers in my ears. The only problem is that I am not inpressed. I am missing something, or something is wrong. When my play my music, the music sounds very low involuem, very bad quality. Its really low volume, and if I turn up the volume my ears hurt. the music sounds almost like someone is whispering in my ears, at a very distored volume.I tried quality songs, Pink floyd dark side of the moon, on cd, and many others. The problem is that even my JVC, and IPOD earphones sound better then these.
Thanks

Feb 17, 2006 at 4:50 AM Post #2 of 20
I am almost shure (yes I said shure) they are defective. (Edit: They may be wet and not defective. when my E3s get wet the same thing happens)

The reason I say this is because the sound much louder than the ibuds when they are in your ears if you got a decent fit. Even with a bad fit they should sound loud at loud volumes. If you don't find them louder than the ibuds then you are either not wearing them (lol), or they are defective. They also sound far better than the ibuds; at least the non-defective ones do (lol)

Edit: They may also be wet. When my E3 get water on them the volume gets really low. Now that I think about it I think this is more likely. Wait a day or two if you can and see if the volume changes. This has happend to me when my e3s are wet.

Feb 17, 2006 at 5:14 AM Post #4 of 20
They may also be wet. When my E3 get water on them the volume gets really low. Now that I think about it I think this is more likely. Wait a day or two if you can and see if the volume changes. This has happend to me when my e3s are wet.

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #5 of 20
The headphones were not wet. I kept on playing and playing, tried different music sources, even flac songs.I seriosly dont like what I am hearing, I can tell something is wrong. What is my next step.
Thanks

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:57 AM Post #6 of 20
Ok... try this to start... I could be wrong but it's worth a shot.

Do you feel pressure in your ears when you are wearring them? When I first got my E2Cs I pushed them in and experienced something similar (not sure if it is as severe as you are describing mind you). I find that if you pull up on your ear lobe when you are inserting them into your ear canal you can get them in without creating that vacume effect which helps them sound better and be more comfortable. The Shure website has some instructions. Check it out here:
http://www.shurestore.com/earphones/howto.html

I hope they arn't truely defective. Best of luck.

Feb 18, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #7 of 20
Might be because they're not inserted properly.

TRY DIFFERENT SIZES OF TIPS! Always start with the Large ones. People always over look them since they look big, but for many people that found out... it fits exceptionally well.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:33 AM Post #8 of 20
i got my e3g about two weeks ago from earphonesolutions.com and am experiencing a poor shure experience as well
it can't be a fit problem because i have a wonder fit with the soft flex sleeves or triflanges

while listening to the shures, i have very poor quality music pumping out of em
all my cheapo and or gifted sony q22, ex51, and v300

both on my laptop and ipod, the electric and bass guitar have seem to lost their electricity, sounding no better than the buds that came with my old skool gameboy...ya...thats rite...the one that used 4 AA batteries and had purple buttons and the green screen that probably caused eye cancer

my music, which is all some sort of rock, has lost its punch and depth
the so-called "punchy" bass is just sort of slappy and futile

listening to q22 rite now, my music seems more dynamic and frankly, more fun

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:29 AM Post #9 of 20
feh1325,

Your problem could be different to that of the OP... the EX51 are bassy and spitty (trebly), and although i'm going in blind here, knowing how Sony operate, I'd imagine that the Q22s are pretty much the same...

The problem here is that the Shure lineup (excluding the E5 and questionably the E4) are quite bass light (as are many IEMs)... so if you're used to ramped up sound these WILL dissapoint...

The only thing you can do (I was unimpressed with my E4s initially after listening to the Super Fi 5 Pro, so this proves it does work) is listen exclusively to the E3 for a week or two, then go back to the Sonys... You'll hear the bass blown out of all proportion - as soon as that happens, you'll know the Shures sound better
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 18, 2006 at 6:38 AM Post #10 of 20
I dont know what to do. I dont think I am that stupid and cant fit the things. Ive tried all the fittings, there were. Even asked my friend to test it. Tried different genres of music.
Thanks

Feb 18, 2006 at 7:45 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by elec999
I dont know what to do. I dont think I am that stupid and cant fit the things. Ive tried all the fittings, there were. Even asked my friend to test it. Tried different genres of music.
Thanks

Ok... again, referring to the E4 so might be off base here, do the E3s have a wax-guard? (little green filter thing when you look down the sound 'tube')... if so, does it look like there is debris / discoloration down there?

These wax-guards have a life expectancy of about 6 months afaik... maybe that could be something to do with it?!?

Feb 18, 2006 at 12:45 PM Post #12 of 20
Gotta be defective.

When you insert the foamies are you waiting a few seconds for them to expand before releasing in your ear? While E3's are no bass monsters, with a proper fit they are very adequate and accurate. If anything you should be complaining about the upper frequency being a little shy. Something is not right.

Feb 18, 2006 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
The only thing you can do (I was unimpressed with my E4s initially after listening to the Super Fi 5 Pro, so this proves it does work) is listen exclusively to the E3 for a week or two, then go back to the Sonys... You'll hear the bass blown out of all proportion - as soon as that happens, you'll know the Shures sound better
smily_headphones1.gif

Very good advice. I went through the same experience when I switched from the Sony EX71/81 to the ER6i and now the Super.fi 5 Pros. The key difference between the low end buds and IEMs is in the midrange. I think you're brain must have been overcompensating for the recessed/cluttered midrange of the Sonys all this time and now that you're hearing something balanced it doesn't sound right. The same thing applies to the bass and treble frequencies (like Duncan explained). My advice is that you give them time and let your ears readjust. Also try listening to some well recorded rock/metal/jazz/classical (stuff with real instruments being played) and compare the sound with your old earphones; the difference for me was shocking.

Alternatively your Shures may really be defective especially if you're getting unusually low volume output. Try flexing the cable connections at the headphone plug and earpiece ends.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #14 of 20
Also consider the other source of IEMs not sounding well - earwax.

Common problem for older IEMs. That, and poor fit being the 2 biggest ones.

Feb 18, 2006 at 5:32 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
Ok... again, referring to the E4 so might be off base here, do the E3s have a wax-guard? (little green filter thing when you look down the sound 'tube')... if so, does it look like there is debris / discoloration down there?

These wax-guards have a life expectancy of about 6 months afaik... maybe that could be something to do with it?!?

I'm using E4c snd last week I thought my R side was defective but I realized that the "little green filter"/wax guard had turned sideways(I'm guessing) and closed off the sound.

Where do you guys buy new pieces that screw on? I used the extra that come with the E4c, but I want to have more backups.

I tried listening without the wax guard in and it sounded bad.I didn't listen for long but it sounded bright and bass seemed to be weak,is this because the wax guard acts as part of the "enclosure" supplying some pressure?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back