Stuck on a deserted island, what cd's?
Jul 27, 2002 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

millerdog

1000+ Head-Fier
This just came up on AOL. If you were on a deserted island, and had some Gilligan like device to power your cdp, what are the five cd's you'd like to have?
I figure I can stuff about eight slim cds in my caselogic bag, so I'll open it up to that amount.
Single cds, no box sets. Doubles are okay, but they count as two.
md

Jul 27, 2002 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 19
beethoven: 9th symphony / vienna philharmonic, karl bohm (1972 recording)

beethoven: 6th + 7th symphonies / vienna philharmonic, karl bohm (1972 recording)

beethoven: 4th + 5th piano concerti / alfred brendel, piano (it could fit on one cd, if not then the 4th only with the opus 110 sonata)

brian eno: thursday afternoon

bach: goldberg variations / glenn gould, piano (1980 recording)

the beatles: sgt. pepper's lonely hearts club band

stereolab: aluminum tunes (2 cds)

will my coconut power generator also recharge the batteries for my jmt cha47 amp? if i can't bring my amp then i'm not going.

Jul 28, 2002 at 4:51 AM Post #3 of 19
you mean I could'nt have a turntable?

Jul 28, 2002 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 19
I'll give this a shot:

The Who - Who's Next
Matthew Good - (as yet unnamed - due out in 2003...I have faith it will be among my favourites)
Matthew Good Band - Audio of Being
Matthew Good Band - Loser Anthems EP
Matthew Good Band - Beautiful Midnight
Matthew Good Band - Underdogs
Sarah Slean - Night Bugs
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot

....anyone notice a pattern in my musical choice?
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #5 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
If you were on a deserted island, and had some [size=medium]Gilligan like device[/size] to power your cdp, what are the five cd's you'd like to have?

something to put mary ann in the mood.
biggrin.gif

Jul 28, 2002 at 9:56 AM Post #8 of 19
I should've known better!
Now I'm trying to remember the name of the group who covered the Gilligan's Island song to Stairway to Heaven!
Now I'm totally off post:
The Howells: Eddie Money's Two Tickets to Paradise
Ginger: this was difficult..Coltrane's Lush Life?
Mary Ann: I found this on a search..Crystal Bernard's(remember her from "Wings?") Girl Next Door
The Professor: Thomas Dolby's Golden Age of Wireless.."she blinded me with science!"
The Skipper: Jimmy Buffet's Son of a Sailor..it contains "Cheeseburger in Paradise"
And finally my man...
Gilligan: The Beach Boys "Endless Summer?"
So that leaves me with two cds...Hmm....
By the way on the opening shot of the island, that would be an enhanced shot of "Coconut Island" here. I worked there for a summer and it supports the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology.
Jude? where did you get that Gilligan doll? I'd like one to put next to Gumby and Pokey!
md

Jul 28, 2002 at 4:26 PM Post #9 of 19
No doubt if I got my 10 fave CD’s together and went to a deserted island I’d want to listen to them in peace. Unfortunately, Gilligan and his antics would disturb my listening time. So, I’d have to slip away during the night on the boat I’d hidden in the lagoon. I would leave the gang a note though.

(note: this a very cousin eddie -esque post!
biggrin.gif
)

Jul 29, 2002 at 7:08 AM Post #12 of 19
My official list:
Steely Dan- Can't Buy a Thrill, Pretzel Logic, AJa
Jimi Hendrix- Are you Expirienced?
The Lightning Seeds- Cloud Coocooland
LedZep- In Through the out Door.
Bruce Springsteen-Born to Run(Was that or The River)
and for my last selection, since I'm on an island:
Beach Boys-Endless Summer. Gilligan will be dancing in the lagoon!
md

Jul 29, 2002 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 19
Just the CD's, CD player and a source of power? Wouldn't be much point since you couldn't hear anything withour speakers or headphones.

biggrin.gif

Jul 29, 2002 at 4:08 PM Post #14 of 19
I would bring my Archos Studio 20. At least I'd have my whole cd collection. Plus I'd bring an air conditioner...

Jul 29, 2002 at 7:58 PM Post #15 of 19
the following list is pretty much what i would consider my top ten of all time (and thank you millerdog for the "no box sets" rule, these threads ALWAYS become "who can find the biggest box set?" contests..):

radiohead - amnesiac (i NEED to hear pyramid song at any given moment)

portishead - roseland nyc live

tori amos - boys for pele

smashing pumpkins - mellon collie and the infinite sadness

modest mouse - lonesome crowded west

hum - you'd prefer an astronaut

sublime - 40oz. to freedom (the PERFECT beach music, since i'm going to be on an island and all..)

miles davis - kind of blue (gotta have some jazz, might as well have the best of it)

elliott smith - either/or (if for some reason me and the inhabitants of the island decided on ritual suicide, this is what i would want to be playing in the background)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back