stuck on a DAC...
Jan 20, 2007 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

blinx

500+ Head-Fier
so im finally taking the plunge and getting a DAC. right now, i have a X-fi xtreme music > millet hybrid to my 325i's and 770/80's.. i know i dont want a USB DAC because im a gamer and the x-fi does gaming very well.

anyway, i would like to spend about 200 dollars on it, but im getting really confused about what to get.

i saw the mood-lab concept dac in the all dac thread, but i ran a search for it and found nothing. you guys have any help for me?

also, my main music listening in on the grado's, i dont know if theres a DAC that really favors them.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Well you have an XFi, you should be able to rig a system to play games thru the XFi to a surround speaker set if you need it for games. If you are not requiring 3d sound for your games, you will be really surprised how nice the music, and sound effects are through a quality headphone system. Your XFi will output SPDIF to a DAC if you want. I think if you try and run the XFi and a USB system at the same time you will have to experiment with control of each.

Depending on your budget the MicroDAC is a great DAC, offering SPDIF in both optical and coax, as well as USB connectivity. It runs $300 new. There are many other nice DACs in this price range, and of course higher. Do a search on this thread, perhaps using your headphones, and music type as modifiers.

Jan 20, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #4 of 5
The mood lab DAC looks nice but it seems as if no one has gotten one yet, I suspect something to do with it being manufactured and promoted mostly in East Asia.

If the looks doesn't matter much, I'd say the microdac is a better bet than the mood lab for sound quality, headroom being a reputable company and all.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 20, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The mood lab DAC looks nice but it seems as if no one has gotten one yet, I suspect something to do with it being manufactured and promoted mostly in East Asia.

If the looks doesn't matter much, I'd say the microdac is a better bet than the mood lab for sound quality, headroom being a reputable company and all.
smily_headphones1.gif

is there an alternative microDAC for desktops? i would like to put something under my millet since my desk isnt that big, but if it comes down to it, i guess i could hide the DAC and not get to show it off
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back