Stuck, Need HELP
May 10, 2014 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

mshaw39

New Head-Fier
New to the board and this is my first post. For the first time in my life I’ve been on the hunt for a great pair of headphones. I listen to pretty much everything all day, every day (indi-alt/rock/hip-hop/country/Classic Rock/a little EDM). I work a lot from my laptop in coffee shops and at home. Budget is around $300 up or down. I purchased a Dragon Fly 1.2 computer/USB DAC/Amp to help and recently spent about 2-3 hours with the following sets:

B&O P7’s: I tested these out last and quickly felt the overall sound (field of sound) just didn’t compare to the below 3.

Sennheiser Momentum’s (over-ear): Comfortable fit and clear, solid, field of sound but the lack of bass really turned me off. I don’t need crazy bass but I want to “feel” and it just wasn’t there. Even if it's just some rock I want to feel those drums.

V-Moda Crossfade M-100’s: Comfortable fit and a little better bass response but I felt like the sound field wasn’t as good as the Momentums or the Grado’s. Close though.

Grado 325sri’s: These had my favorite sound overall. Just felt clear and the field of sound felt like it wrapped me. Better bass than the Momentums but would still prefer more. If it wasn’t for the open backs letting so much sound in  and out for others around me (at coffee shop and at home) and for weird little things like comfort and the huge cord being an issue to figure out where to position I probably would of kept these. If they had a little more/punchy bass I might of just dealt with other issues. The sound to my ears was the best.

I don’t really want to get into the whole noise canceling side of things but with that said, I’m new to this and would be open to any/all thoughts. The places I work from are not that loud. I guess the question is what’s out there that sounds like the Grado’s with closed backs and more punchy bass that you can feel a little more? Open to spending a little more to get it right. thanks!

May 10, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #2 of 12
Sennheiser HD25 or Amperiors I hear are close. The Grado sound is kind of it's own monster, very unique. Reasonable detailed but IMO a bit brash and unrefined. It's basically a driver pointed right at your earballs. I haven't heard a closed can that nails it.

I'm a bit surprised you felt the bass of the SR325i to be better than the Momentums. I own both and find the Momentum low end to be better extended and fuller but a bit fluffy and slow compared to the Grados. Grado tends to have a low-mid kind of bass that offers a very fast and tight attack but rolls off in the true bass section. I prefer the Grados personally but the Momentums are very... just tasty. 

May 10, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #3 of 12
Grados have better bass than Momentum? Woah, that's something you don't hear everyday.

In regards to your questions though, I think the Amperiors would be really nice. They're aggressive sounding, should suit your needs.

May 10, 2014 at 10:53 PM Post #4 of 12
  Sennheiser HD25 or Amperiors I hear are close. The Grado sound is kind of it's own monster, very unique. Reasonable detailed but IMO a bit brash and unrefined. It's basically a driver pointed right at your earballs. I haven't heard a closed can that nails it.

I'm a bit surprised you felt the bass of the SR325i to be better than the Momentums. I own both and find the Momentum low end to be better extended and fuller but a bit fluffy and slow compared to the Grados. Grado tends to have a low-mid kind of bass that offers a very fast and tight attack but rolls off in the true bass section. I prefer the Grados personally but the Momentums are very... just tasty. 

^ this ...

To add a bit, what happens in the Grado lineup is that the more expensive they get, the better bass they have - well, sort of.  The PS500 will definitely get you more bass.  My HF-2 (same headphone, more or less) is my absolute favorite headphone.  I can't see using it for portable/traveling/knock-about town, though.  An HD25 or Amperior would seem to be the best choice.  Both have great, punchy bass, are reasonably airy for closed headphones and are unbelievably durable.

May 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #5 of 12
Thanks all of you for posting your thoughts, suggestions, etc. Slashfurry99; I think benthughes probably described what I was looking for or feeling when he said re the Grado's; " very fast and tight attack but rolls off in the true bass section." I personally like that sound and being able to feel that kind of bass in my ear/head.

Tomb; thanks very much for chiming in. I did not know that at all with the Gardo's. I was just sniffing around their site and noticed the PS500's are $595 and the RS21 is $495. Is there a difference between these 2; have you heard them both? With the PS500's being $300 more than the SR325is' do you think they justify that kid of jump? Pretty much exactly double the price.

I will check out the HD25's for sure and the Amperior's (who makes these?) and I've never heard of the HF-2, who makes that.

Again - thanks you guys. Really helps someone who doesn't know S about all this stuff. But it's fun to learn!

May 11, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #6 of 12
Thanks all of you for posting your thoughts, suggestions, etc. Slashfurry99; I think benthughes probably described what I was looking for or feeling when he said re the Grado's; " very fast and tight attack but rolls off in the true bass section." I personally like that sound and being able to feel that kind of bass in my ear/head.

Tomb; thanks very much for chiming in. I did not know that at all with the Gardo's. I was just sniffing around their site and noticed the PS500's are $595 and the RS21 is $495. Is there a difference between these 2; have you heard them both? With the PS500's being $300 more than the SR325is' do you think they justify that kid of jump? Pretty much exactly double the price.

I will check out the HD25's for sure and the Amperior's (who makes these?) and I've never heard of the HF-2, who makes that.

Again - thanks you guys. Really helps someone who doesn't know S about all this stuff. But it's fun to learn!

Hd 25 and amperior are sennhieser products

May 11, 2014 at 6:44 AM Post #7 of 12
Is the PS500 worth more that the SR325? ...Meh... It may offer a sound signature that is more pleasing to you but for the additional $300 I'd honestly steer for something that I consider to be a better product like the HiFiMan HE500. Worth it is sooooooo subjective. To many the SR225 are the sweet spot in the Grado line. If you're suggesting that you're okay with an open headphone the world is your oyster, my friend.

May 11, 2014 at 9:31 AM Post #8 of 12
  Is the PS500 worth more that the SR325? ...Meh... It may offer a sound signature that is more pleasing to you but for the additional $300 I'd honestly steer for something that I consider to be a better product like the HiFiMan HE500. Worth it is sooooooo subjective. To many the SR225 are the sweet spot in the Grado line. If you're suggesting that you're okay with an open headphone the world is your oyster, my friend.

Grados are over-priced anyway.  If you're looking for value or worth - look elsewhere.  I can say that because Grados are my favorite phones and I have several pairs.
wink.gif
  I've probably heard all of them, including the Joe Grado models.  If you're looking for great musicality and sound, then go for a Grado and from what the OP wants, get the PS500.  The PS500 is really an RS-1 with a bass boost.  The RS-2 is simply an RS-1 that's not as good and is not comparable, IMHO.

I have had SR-225's for years and yeah, you can consider it the sweet spot in terms of value/performance, but again - you can't judge Grados on value.  The SR-225 is hot, tizzy, and bass-light compared to the superior refinement of an RS-1 or PS-500. 

May 11, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #9 of 12
I would say get the 325is with flat pads. It'll enhance the bass and make it much punchier. That's the way I like my 325is.

May 12, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #10 of 12
tomb; you're killing me. kidding. I went in to the closest place today to get the PS500's and they only had the RS1 and RS2's. RS1's are just getting to be too much for me price wise on my first "real" cans. So I pulled the trigger on the RS2's. Been listening to them a lot today and I have to say off the bat; yes this is more the bass I was talking about for sure over the 325's. I felt pretty satisfied until I read your note about the PS500's being a lot better in your opinion. For another $100 do you think it's worth finding those? I have to say I'm really excited to at least be at a point where I'm getting and keeping either these RS2's or the PS500's. Thanks!

May 13, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #12 of 12
I mean these:

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Flat_Pads_p/aat0000100.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back