Stuck in my search for the "One to rule them all"
Feb 22, 2015 at 6:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

C x 2

New Head-Fier
I've been going back and forth between different headphones for a month already... it's like I'm stuck in a loop! I find a pair of headphones, only to talk myself out of it after a lot of contemplation. There aren't really any places where I live where I can try on all the different headphones, which complicates things a lot. This brings me back to here, a push in the right direction again would be great. As the title suggests, I'm looking for "one to rule them all," I don't want to have a bunch of different pairs of headphones. I listen to almost all genres of music. The main thing I want out of a pair of headphones, is for the music to come to life and sound fun. Especially for genres like rock, I like when it's powerful, almost like it's in your face. When I'm listening to more jazzy music, I'd like to feel like I'm at my own live, private show. When listening to more chill-electro type music, I want to be able to sit back and let the music take me away.

Am I asking for too much from one pair of headphones? Is there a pair out there that could satisfy what I'm looking for? I feel like I'm stuck in a situation like this because I'm being way to picky.

Thanks for any help. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #2 of 33
What is your budget? If it is unlimited, buy the Orpheus from DavidMahler for $25000
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711341/flagship-gear-sale-selling-most-of-my-stuff

If the budget isn't unlimited, but still high I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic T1. Read the article "Battle of the Flagships" and you'll know why.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_T1

If all this is way over your budget: get a Sennheiser HD600. Great allrounder.

Feb 22, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 33
The only headphone I have yet heard that can do what you request is the Stax sr-009.
But I suggest you try fooling around on the used market and become acquainted with different phones and gear, then resell until you find something you want to keep.
Doing this has given me many interesting experiences and I have tried stuff I'd never consider elsewise.

Feb 22, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #5 of 33
The only headphone I have yet heard that can do what you request is the Stax sr-009.
But I suggest you try fooling around on the used market and become acquainted with different phones and gear, then resell until you find something you want to keep.
Doing this has given me many interesting experiences and I have tried stuff I'd never consider elsewise.

I was thinking about that, but the used market mainly has stuff from the US, and it'll end up being quite costly if I'm constantly shipping stuff.

Are you only looking for headphones or also AMP/DAC? Need a budget though.

Ahh I forgot to include the budget! I was going to say that my budget on the headphones will be ~$400 CAD, I'm willing to spend more if its worth it, but less is always better. I'm planning on getting an AMP/DAC in the future.

Feb 22, 2015 at 4:38 PM Post #6 of 33
HD650 is a great way to start out in that price range.  Scales up very well, and sounds really good with even the most entry level setups.  I plug mine into an 18V / OPA2107 cmoy all the time!!

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #7 of 33
If you want a good allarround I think T1 is a solid choice. I've heard people speak highly of them paired with either A20, A1, A2 or Corda Classic. Some prefer tubes but that's not me so I have very little knowlegde in that department.

Feb 22, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #8 of 33
IMHO, you are thinking about this entirely the wrong way. You seem to think these are your last headphones. Every long-time head-fier knows there is no such thing as your *last* headphones, these are simply your *next* headphones. Part of the fun of head-fi is experiencing different sound signatures. You will like some of your headphones a lot, and others, not so much. Over time, you begin to get better at predicting whether you will like a pair of headphones, but even then, you will never find the "perfect" headphones - that concept just doesn't exist. Even when I have headphones that I really, really like, that doesn't keep me from wanting to try others. I might like the new ones better, or I might not.

Head-fi meets are great - you get an opportunity to listen to many headphones , and you can learn more in one day than you can in years of reading reviews.

After you buy *this* headphone, when you want to try something different, you have a few options. You can just put your current headphones in your collection and buy another, or you can trade/sell your current headphones in the head-fi buy/sell forum. Sure, it's going to cost you money - but what hobby doesn't?? :wink:

Feb 22, 2015 at 6:27 PM Post #9 of 33
IMHO, you are thinking about this entirely the wrong way. You seem to think these are your last headphones. Every long-time head-fier knows there is no such thing as your *last* headphones, these are simply your *next* headphones. Part of the fun of head-fi is experiencing different sound signatures. You will like some of your headphones a lot, and others, not so much. Over time, you begin to get better at predicting whether you will like a pair of headphones, but even then, you will never find the "perfect" headphones - that concept just doesn't exist. Even when I have headphones that I really, really like, that doesn't keep me from wanting to try others. I might like the new ones better, or I might not.

Head-fi meets are great - you get an opportunity to listen to many headphones , and you can learn more in one day than you can in years of reading reviews.

After you buy *this* headphone, when you want to try something different, you have a few options. You can just put your current headphones in your collection and buy another, or you can trade/sell your current headphones in the head-fi buy/sell forum. Sure, it's going to cost you money - but what hobby doesn't??
wink.gif

Thanks for your insight. I've just been scared of buying a pair of headphones that I don't like, and end up regretting it later. I'm not trying to make these my "last" headphones, I am really just aiming for a pair that will keep me happy for a long time until I can afford more in the future 
redface.gif
. Regarding the head-fi meets, I'd totally be down to go if there were ever to be one nearby. It's hard to go to ones far away when you're still a student haha 
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #10 of 33
At the price level you are considering, there are very few *bad* headphones, especially if you are using resources like Jude's buying guide and Tyll's Wall of Fame. There are really just different flavors of very good.

:)

Feb 23, 2015 at 3:03 AM Post #11 of 33
  Ahh I forgot to include the budget! I was going to say that my budget on the headphones will be ~$400 CAD, I'm willing to spend more if its worth it, but less is always better. I'm planning on getting an AMP/DAC in the future.

That's more or less the price of the HD600. It's great value for  money and a great all-rounder as I already mentioned. My HD580 kept me happy for a long time before I got myself the T1.

Feb 23, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #12 of 33

That's more or less the price of the HD600. It's great value for  money and a great all-rounder as I already mentioned. My HD580 kept me happy for a long time before I got myself the T1.

The HD 600's are $499 on amazon while the 650's are $479.. should I just get the 650's instead since they're $20 cheaper?

Feb 23, 2015 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 33
  The HD 600's are $499 on amazon while the 650's are $479.. should I just get the 650's instead since they're $20 cheaper?

That is hard for us to say. Some prefer the HD650 over HD600 and on the other hand some prefer the HD600 over HD650. You could buy them both and return the one you didn't like mabye? Amazon has got a great return policy to my knowlegde.

Feb 24, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #15 of 33
I'd consider AKG K712's as well, or the Massdrop K7XX. The HD650 is a great headphone, but it's considerably warm, and thus may not 'rule them all'. I haven't heard the HD600, but from everything I've read, the K7XX/K712 should probably beat it in extension and detail, perhaps at a loss on tonality and smoothness. Just some options, I really think auditions are in order for you to be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back