Stuck between two turntables... which one should I get???
Apr 18, 2008 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

texashorn91

100+ Head-Fier
I found a great looking Dual CS 621 online from a reputable dealer, that is apparently in excellent condition. Unfortunately its selling for $180+ shipping.
Here is the given description:

Quote:

Dual CS 621 Automatic Direct-Drive turntable. 33 and 45 rpm speeds only. Features auto pickup at end of play. This unit was little used and is in near-mint condition. It comes complete with a Pickering XSV/4000 magnetic pickup, wood-grain base, dust cover and operating manual. You don't find them in this condition. Orig. $329.00

And a picture:
DUALCS621w.jpg

I also found a Pioneer PL200 locally for $100, and it looks to be in good shape as well.

Of course I like the Dual much more, but is it worth the extra cash? Any impressions of either turntable would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 9
I would choose neither of those. There are too many good tables out there to limit yourself to a (IMO) low-ranking Dual and a plastic Pioneer. I bought my Pioneer PL-12D (long gone) for $20. That is 10x the table of the pioneer you are looking at.

This needs some cleaning and a new belt and cart, but it is nice and in your area:

Marantz turntable model 6100

Although I would choose a 12XX Dual over the Marantz.

However, for a little more cash than the Dual at the top, you can get a legitimate table new by Pro-Ject. Sometimes Musicdirect has the Project Debut III for $279 and I can tell you that it would be worth the extra cash. You with be infected with upgraditis much later.

Apr 18, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 9
I have looked at that Marantz before. I have no doubt it is a good table, but it looks like its been through a hurricane. I would rather not have to work on something that much.

Apr 18, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 9
Apr 19, 2008 at 2:19 AM Post #5 of 9
Hint: Harman Kardon turntables can be had cheaply on our least favorite auction sites (T series w/o the linear arm only), and will outperform most any other used budget decks.

When you either
a) search until you get lucky on a bargain
b) crack the $300 budget
then options really start to open up.

Until then I'd recommend either HK or B&O (but only if it's got a good cart, b/c the carts are discontinued and now only available from soundsmith). I regularly find 12xx series duals for <$50. They require a serious touch to make sure that all the automation stays running. The dual you're looking at is even more complicated.

Apr 19, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #6 of 9
i would hold out for the right deck at the right price. for the patient & persistent lookers it happens.

i like regas, the technics 1200 (with rega arm) and then we get expensive. the projects should be nice, although i have never heard one.

Apr 19, 2008 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 9
I would suggest buying something locally, unless the person you are buying from knows how to pack a turntable and will take responsibility for damage in transit.

Of the two there, the Dual is a great turntable, but that price is a little bit high. It should be more like $75 or so. It might be worth it to have an unbroken dust cover though. The 1218, 1228, etc would be a better Dual for around the same price.

See ya
Steve

Apr 20, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #9 of 9
t_horn: Cosmetic condition of the Dual seems just fine - if the dealer also guarantees very good working condition for everything (including the cartridge/needle), that 621 would be a fair offer. It's about on the same quality level as a Technics SL1300.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back