Stuck between Sansa Clip and Shuffle...
Mar 19, 2008 at 10:04 PM Post #18 of 24
In truth, I think both are going to be tough. There are no moving parts. It may be that the shuffle is toughER, but unless you step on the player they should both be fine in that department. I would have a hard time justifying the apple, but some people like the cache (and are willing to part with some extra cash for it).

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:15 PM Post #19 of 24
There really isnt any reason to get a shuffle. The clip beats it in every department. The build quality aspect is highly overrated. I'm not denying that the shuffle is build like a tank but the clip is by no means a pushover. The plastic cover feels really solid and there are no moving parts in it. So it should be fine in every day usage or for a rough workout at the gym

Comparing the shuffle with the clip is like comparing Mike Tyson with some average boxer at your local gym. The clip wins in every department.

Mar 19, 2008 at 11:25 PM Post #20 of 24
I'm impressed by the Clip, but other posters in this thread make good points about the Shuffle that would apply in your case. Are you currently an iPod owner / iTunes user?

I'm not sure I would bother getting involved with iTunes just to load a Shuffle. Are you already an iTunes user, or would you consider an iTunes alternative for loading a Shuffle?

If the simplicity of drag and drop and Microsoft file management appeals to you (if you are a Microsoft user), this might be a factor in the Clip's favor (and it could serve as a flash drive, too, which may or may not matter). And when adding in the sound quality, that might be enough to send you to the Clip.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxicsweet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys!
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm a new poster but I've been following Head-Fi threads for a long time. I was more focused on the high-end home rigs, only recently I decided to buy a small "workout" player(for jogging too). So I've narrowed the list to Clip and Shuffle(2G).

Clip:

-better sound quality(?)
-equalizer
-higher memory and battery capacity
-cheaper

Shuffle:

-portability (what the hell do you mean portability) as if the
-aluminum body
-better looks and maybe user-friendlier(changing tracks and etc., not the uploading)

So my main concerns are sound quality and power. I don't expect something marvelous, of course. Clip is said to have better sound quality and better bass, but I've read somewhere that Shuffle uses push-pull method to amplify the signal(and has better bass than the other iPods). So after all, which one has better sound quality and more power(driving 32 Ohm or lower impedance load)? I don't need "warm" sounding player, as I'll be listening to electronic music most of the time.

Also, I'm concerned about about portability. I like the dimensions of Shuffle, but I haven't seen or used Clip. Is Clip's clip good enough? Isn't Clip large-ish to be really clipped to a pocket or etc.? And finally: is the difference in sound quality or power worth getting the Clip instead of Shuffle(portability and durability in mind)?

Thanks guys.
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT: Just saw that the headphones I plan to use with the player are in fact 64 Ohm (117db/Vrms, the Sennheiser Sport series)

I've owned both! (at the same time too)

What the heck do you mean by portability on the ipod shuffle? The difference in portability between the 2 is not even worthy of mention. They're both extremely micro sized players. AND I think the clip looks way better. Have you seen one in person?

I cant think of any reason why I would choose the shuffle over the clip (and yes, I owned the shuffle too and I really disliked it.) It was miserable using it to navigate for tracks with no screen too. There are always going to be times when you want to find a certain track and the shuffle sucks for that. SQ was good but the clip is fantastic in comparison (if you have good headphones it's easier to tell). With all honestly you're not really going to hear much of a difference in SQ unless you listen REALLY carefully or if you're using the clip's eq obviously. The only thing that was easily noticeably different in terms of sound quality between the ipod and sansa clip was that the sansa clip definitely has better bass extension. Atrio M5 or M8 have great synergy with my clip.

BTW, you forgot to mention drag and drop functionality of the clip. That's a major plus for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, both players are lite enough so that you can go running and not have to worry about dropping them. Both players will hang and stay connected to the headphones. It is a tough player but if youre really concerned you can get a skin like this Black Silicone Skin Cover for SanDisk Sansa Clip 1/2 GB - eBay (item 260220732080 end time Mar-16-08 14:35:18 PDT) and btw the paint always rubs off on the shuffle eventually.

Itunes software is a pain to use. I found myself never wanting to load new songs onto my shuffle because I try to avoid using itunes as much as possible. If you have a larger capacity player it makes sense but not for a little shuffle.

+ with the clip you get way more features like Recording and FM. Buying a shuffle is just a dumb decision in my opinion (no offense to those who went in that direction).

Anyway, they're both really cheap so I say buy them both and then just return the one you dont like as much. I'd put money on you ending up with the clip in the end.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamwhoiam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I still can't decide if the iPod shuffle is worth the eye candy... Anymore opinions?

Is the sound really that bad?

The sansa clip is by far more visually appealing. if you've ever seen one in person they look slick.

Mar 20, 2008 at 1:19 PM Post #23 of 24
Guys, I was absolutely going to get the Clip, but the 4GB Clip. But all the waiting pissed me off and I got Sony A818, which is absolute bang for the buck (for around 100$). Its 8GB and etc., you know, and before I saw it for the first time I thought it is gonna be too large for my needs. That, however, is TOTALLY not the case. It doesn't have the clip of the Clip or Shuffle, but is thin and 1-2cm W/H don't bother me too much. I got a kind of elastic "arm belt" or something and A818 stays very well attached to it and connected to the supplied IEMs(w/o the ext. cord). PERFECT match for running, not that perfect for fitness but I put it in my small pocket of the pants and it stays there without any movement when I go to the gym. A818 drives the Senns PMX70 Sport well, but I'd like to have a little bit more power with them because I like to turn up the volume regularly - eventually I get accustomed to the volume and want more. So in that aspect A818 could have been better, though its not a big problem.

The other thing that made me get A818 was the supplied pair of IEMs. As I don't have good IEMs now(waiting for Westone 3) I needed something for the meantime and so far the EX082 seem to be the optimal ones. I have to ask you guys - what do you think of the Westone's signature? I know that they're quite good(UM2 in mind), musical and etc., but aren't they too bassy or laid back, in other words the synergy won't be the best? I want bright, forward-sounding IEMs with "liveness" and great mids for strings and female vocals and not too strong bass. I haven't heard Denon C551 but it gets a lot of attention here and seems to be that kind of IEMs, but at that price point I don't think they have the detail of the Westone 3(yeah I know, I know, they're not even out, but some people have heard the prototypes and said the mids are excellent). So after all what I need is something like "higher class" C551? Are the Westone 3 really what I'm looking for or I should get something else? Any opinions please.

EDIT: Etys ER-4P don't cut it due to microphonics, I'd have got them otherwise.

Mar 20, 2008 at 3:42 PM Post #24 of 24
Congrats on the A818!!! Such a great player. Enjoy it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back