Stuck between d2000 and hfi780
Dec 17, 2009 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kobeclix

Head-Fier
This is a Christmas present for myself since im so selfish. This is also my first set of cans. Im stuck between these two phones. I will use them unamped for hours and hours of listening in bed, in the library, and on the couch. My sources are ipod touch and iriver clix and my laptop. I cant get the d5000 cuz of its price. Its just too much. Comfort for long listening is a must. I mainly listen to rock, pop, and hiphop like Procussions, Phoenix, N.E.R.D., Frank Sinatra, and Jacks Mannequin. I currently own Shure SE530s, UE super fi 5s and waiting for UE triple fis from amazon. Hopefully you guys can help me. Thanks. P.S. ive been reading for weeks and still cant decide. Hopefully you guys can help me decide. Thanks

Dec 17, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Graphicism /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well your research should of told you they both need amplification, the D2000 more so. The 780s sound decent unamped but there are better, cheaper alternatives. Also why not get an amp?

I cant afford an amp right now and id rather buy a new source, but i might pick one up 6 months from now. i want to get one of these first.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:05 PM Post #4 of 10
In stock form the D2000 seemed to be the overall better performer. It was a lot more transparent and closer to neutrality than the Hfi 780. The Hfi 780 had the better bass impact but its highs sounded quite metallic to me. A recable to the Hfi 780 does a remarkable job in smoothing out those highs among other things. To be honest though I'm not really a fan of both haha.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:38 PM Post #5 of 10
I don't have the HFI 780 but I do have the D2000. I think the 2000 is a great headphone. Tremendous soundstage for a closed can. Very good bass. They are also very nicely detailed.

They do require some oomph. But I don't amp any of my stuff. I am typically not sitting around long enough to mess with it and I won't carry 10 pounds of stuff. But my walkman drives them well enough to not complain. I have to kick my volume up a little but they are still great without the amp. On the occassion when I sit for a while I will plug them into my home receiver and they really shine. they have great detail and do a very nice job separating instruments.

They are also VERY comfortable.

My only complaint about these cans is the cord. it's too long and it gets knotted kind of easily. But other than that, they have been a great buy. I have had mine for 2 years and love them as much today as I did when they arrived from Headroom.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsupremous /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have the HFI 780 but I do have the D2000. I think the 2000 is a great headphone. Tremendous soundstage for a closed can. Very good bass. They are also very nicely detailed.

They do require some oomph. But I don't amp any of my stuff. I am typically not sitting around long enough to mess with it and I won't carry 10 pounds of stuff. But my walkman drives them well enough to not complain. I have to kick my volume up a little but they are still great without the amp. On the occassion when I sit for a while I will plug them into my home receiver and they really shine. they have great detail and do a very nice job separating instruments.

They are also VERY comfortable.

My only complaint about these cans is the cord. it's too long and it gets knotted kind of easily. But other than that, they have been a great buy. I have had mine for 2 years and love them as much today as I did when they arrived from Headroom.

If there's one thing to mention is that the D2000 are supremely more comfortable than the hfi 780. However, the hfi 780 doesn't leak sound as much as the D2000.

Dec 17, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #7 of 10
x2 for denon comfort
i have the denon, had the ultrasone. lack of comfort made me sell the ultrasone

Dec 17, 2009 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 10
I've never heard a set of Denons unfortunately, though the Ultrasones have a unique sound sig which I find very pleasing for my dance music genres.. For other things the highs can be very agressive, lol.. As far as comfort go's the HFI-780s fit me just fine, without discomfort.. I think it really depends on how big your head is
tongue.gif

The Ultrasones are a "Fun" phone, so consider that. If you want a flat style reference phone do not get the HFI-780s.

Dec 17, 2009 at 9:54 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by HONEYBOY /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If there's one thing to mention is that the D2000 are supremely more comfortable than the hfi 780. However, the hfi 780 doesn't leak sound as much as the D2000.

Forgot to mention the sound leakage. It's not terrible in the D2000, but because the pads are some plush and comfy and they do not clamp your head AT ALL. That does tend to lead to some sound leakage. But it's no where in the neighborhood of an open back headphone. They do a pretty bang up job. If you don't listen to your music at extreme levels, your family will not hear your music over the natural sound of the television in the background.

Dec 17, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #10 of 10
I wear a 7.5 in fitted hats which i think is big.
Thanks for the replies. After hours of debate, I went a different direction and purchased the shure srh840. I decided on the D2000 but then the shures came into the picture and my debate changed to srh840 vs D2000. I picked the srh840 because from what ive read they are more mobile than the D2000 and comparable in sound. Theyre also cheaper and I own SE530s. Anyways, Thanks for the info. My next purchase will be the iBasso T3 after christmas. Boy do i love myself this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back