Struggling to love what is technically an upgrade (LCD-2 to LCD-X)
Jul 8, 2023 at 3:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

emba4

100+ Head-Fier
i always loved my LCD-2s, ive never heard anything under £1500 i preferred, so when my bamboos broke about a year ago i went and listened to a selection of others and ended up buying another pair of LCD-2s. not too long ago i broke them too (one of the magnets somehow dislodged at the front and snapped to the one below) i was gutted and at the time rather short on cash so i got some Oppo PM3 to tide me over but good as they were they werent quite enough.

then a few days ago i stumbled on a brand new replacement matched driver set for the LCD-X, i thought "well aside from the drivers its just rings and a headband so i imagine it should work" and it did, soldered them up and they fit in a treat. so i proceeded to dig into some listening, now theyre not "bad" in anyway per say but Vs the 2s it just feels like something is "missing" at the low end, the bass is sort of more defined but with less body/impact/weight if you will, its kinda hard to put my finger on but its enough that im kinda screwing my face up on certain tracks thinking "hmmm that doesnt sound right" they have their good points, the mids and vocals are better but overall im just not loving them the way i did my 2s, ive tried all sorts of EQ tricks etc, filters and settings on my DAC/amp but nothing seems to bring that magic back.

im hoping maybe its just waiting that short period for my ears to adjust to them but i have a nasty feeling its not and thats likely going to mean only one thing, very soon im likely gonna cave and buy a pair of Mezes (the only thing ive heard that i liked more than Audezes offerings) it makes me feel like such a picky bugger though, most folk would be utterly blown away by them and im sat here going "well theyre OK but..."

Jul 8, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #2 of 3
The LCD-X requires EQ to reach its potential. There are also updated pads.

Jul 8, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #3 of 3
Just because a headphone is "technically" stronger than another does not mean you will prefer it. You may simply prefer the fuller sound and warmer tuning of the LCD-2 than the X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back