struggling to find the right headphones
Oct 5, 2009 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

anthemeral

New Head-Fier
Im hoping someone here can tell me something that will push me in the right direction

i listen to music for 3 to 6 hours a day and want some good headphones but dont want to go overkill as i will be mainly using my ipod touch with 320k mp3s

i have some ultimate ears super fi 4s but i find them uncomfortable and feel they have contributed to the itchiness and aching and recurring infections i keep getting in my ears

it seems there arent many decent over the ear phones that can be good for in home and outside use
and if im going to wear large earphones outside then looks are important and i dont like the look of senn hd 25s and feel the hd595s are too big

the most important factor is that i want detachable cable as ive gone through so many in the past

ive been looking at some ultrasone pro 650s which seem to meet most of these, would you guys recommened them
and also beyerdynamic dt770 80ohms
which are full sized so not ideal
also shure srh840s which are hard to get
and then theres monster beats which i would stretch too maybe..

as for the usually recommended audio technicas i havent been able to find anywhere reputable so i dont really want to go for them

perhaps there is an in ear phone that wont break as easy as my ue superfi4s did(wish i got 3 or 5 with the cable)
that wont cause as much discomfort
none of the tips i got with the ues seemed right, either to big or fell out
and always uncomfortable and i couldnt keep them in for prolonged use, just felt liek my ears needed to breathe and have relief from the high strained sounds after a while

the music i like is post rock, sigur ros, occasional drum and bass, and black metal
so all round earphones are prob whats needed
but id most like to have a sound that blows me away when listening to sgur ros and makes it sound epic

Oct 5, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #2 of 7
The Audio Technica ATH-M50 which is probably the most commonly recommended headphone on here is available for $99 on eBay from NationWide Pro Audio. I purchased mine from them and they are a reputable dealer and authorized to carry AT.

If you're going to spend $300, don't do it on the beats...there's so many other better choices in that price range.

Oct 5, 2009 at 6:26 AM Post #3 of 7
the reason i mention beats as i thought perhapds they are well suited to the ipod?, is there a better alternative taht doesnt need an amp and has a detachable cord.

ideally id like to be able to purchase from amazon uk

Oct 5, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #5 of 7
good suggestion for the q40s, i was considering them until i started to read about all the problems people have had with the cables build quality and difficulty getting new cables, also they are apparently not very comfy with the thin leather pads but perhaps they can be modded with beyerpads and a different cable.

theyre also 100 pounds, can an extra 50 pounds gain a better similar headphone
i dont want to have upgraditis by next christmas

i wish akg k701s werent so hard to drive from an ipod as depsite thier non detachable cable they look like the most luxurious headphones to me.

Oct 5, 2009 at 11:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Same position - I've pretty much narrowed it to the SRH840's and ATH-M50's.

I know the SRG840's are ok for an amp, how are the M50's with amps?

Oct 6, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 7
The M50 scales pretty well with an amp...personally, my M50s might be my favorite set of 'phones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back