Stripping spraypaint from perspex.
Sep 22, 2006 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Garbz

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a perspex pannel on my amp which has been spraypainted on one side. Unfortunately a non-secured part rubbed against it during transit and caused it to bubble slightly. I think the only way to really get this fixed would be to strip the paint job and repaint.

The problem ofcourse is that heavy strippers like acetone would most likely damage the perspex. Does anyone know of any less harsh solution to disolving paint without damaging the pannel underneath?

Sep 22, 2006 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 7
A last option but you could sandpaper it off with wet and dry, as long as you take your time and go up through the grits you can end up with a polished finish or just a rough one, depends how much you put in.

A lot of effort though.

Sep 22, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #3 of 7
You might try one of the mild citrus-based paint removers, if they have such things in Oz. They take the form of an orange-colored gel. It would probably be wise to test it first to see if it doesn't damage the plastic.

Another idea is a heat gun. Wikipedia tells me the melting point of acrylic glass is 130-140°C so this is also risky.

In any event, I don't envy you. This sounds like an unpleasant task.

Sep 22, 2006 at 11:48 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah. It will be a pain. But hopefully I can find such a citrus based stripper. I'll look at the local hardware store tomorrow.

Sanding is out of the question. It took me about a week to polish the sides of the pannel using wet and dry down to 1200 grit and finishing with a woolen polishing wheel. It is still not as perfect as the front, and a scratch was the reason I threw the first pannel away.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #5 of 7
Surprise of the day, acetone doesn't damage perspex!

Now I just need to go and buy another 5L can
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back