Strictly SQ vote - need your help guys!
Sep 20, 2007 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 54

vibez

Head-Fier
Hi,

I have been reading quite a few of the posts in this forum, and although much is evident now I still need one final vote from all of you. Sound quality being the only criteria, and assuming I use the same mp3s (320 kbps) and E4cs, please rank the following:

1. Kenwood HD30GB9
2. Kenwood HD60GD9
3. Microsoft Zune
4. Cowon i7
5. Cowon D2
6. iRiver clix 2
7. Sony A800 series (A808)

Thanks. Really need your help with this. For perspective I am not a 'bass' or 'treble' guy, I am interested in the truest and most accurate reproduction of sound possible from any of the above without using an amp or modifications (like IMOD).

Lets see how this comes out to be...finally!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:11 AM Post #2 of 54
Without a doubt the Kenwood players most likely offer the best in audio quality playback. As for the Cowon players and the Zune, Id describe the D2, '7' as being bright and cold, and in stark contrast, the Zune, warm and "mushy". In the end it depends on your listening style...

Sep 20, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #3 of 54
I asked a similar question a few weeks ago with a budget in mind ($150 or less) and had many people recommend the Meizu M6, which now has a further-improved second edition (M6SE). Definitely check that one out.

Sep 21, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 54
Well, in my case budget is not a criteria. I am not looking for 'best bang for the buck'. That is why I started this thread, because it was hard for me to conclude the ranks of each of these players in order of decreasing sound quality. Another thing that is unclear is the 'difference' in SQ between them, if earphones and mp3s are the same.

For perspective, I was about to order the D2, when I read in these forums that its sound is harsh in the treble regions. This meant, I think, that the sound is not as natural or realistic as some other players, for example the clix2. I dropped the idea of clix2 before, but reading in these forums I found that it has a warmer and more 'natural' sounding SQ. Basically, that confused me as to which one is closer to the 'source'. Then came the iAudio 7 and Kenwood! and things got out of hand
frown.gif

People come on, please help. I am sure a lot of people who read these forums will benefit from this thread.

Take care

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:25 AM Post #7 of 54
Just curious... Why is the iMod off limits? It seems to be in the same price range as the Kenwood players.

For you Kenwood owners, what makes those models so expensive? Is it mostly related to the hard drive size, or do they use better components all around?

Sep 21, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 54
Quote:

Originally Posted by afobisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i think those kenwoods already have built-in amps?

they would burn more battery power then huh?

An amp is needed to drive headphones so in practise everything has a built in amp, it's just a matter of how good that amp is. Usually the amp built into a DAP is not especially good which is why people often use a line out socket to connect up a better amp.

Sep 22, 2007 at 9:45 AM Post #11 of 54
Another great-sounding DAP that can be thrown in the mix is the Sony NW-HD5.

Sep 22, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #12 of 54
Hmm.

Okay, the iMod is off limits because of portability issues. Note that I limited the use of earphones to E4Cs by Shure, just because an amp and bigger headphones would kill the purpose of portability. So, the rank is based on 320 kbps encoded mp3s and Shure earphones connected to the headphone out of these players. Varying these options would make this poll very complicated, so with the above options, we are to judge the quality of the 'source' player only.

Superbaldguy, can you place the sony in order of rank in the list I gave? Even though I am leaning towards the Kenwood for now, I still get some reviews saying that the sonys and Cowons (even iRivers) sound fantastic. But no one mentions if they are close to the kenwood sound. Suggestions, anyone? Not to mention quite a few favoring Zune, which I own and do not like to 'that' an extent.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #13 of 54
The Zune has great SQ. The Kenwood is "better", but the difference is not huge.
The difference between any of these players is relatively small.
You may be setting yourself up for a disappointment.

Sep 22, 2007 at 5:46 PM Post #14 of 54
Night Surfer, what made you change your mind? I remember your posts where you said that the Kenwood was a huge improvement over the Zune.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back