Stretched ears
Mar 14, 2011 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Bleddyn

New Head-Fier
I know the topic title sounds a little iffy, but i am a 21 year old dude with a 26mm hole in his left ear lobe who also likes his music very much and was wondering if any of you wonderful head-fiers could enlighten me on what headphones have the largest cup size and would best accomodate my stretched ear lobe.
Thank you.
image to showcase what i mean.

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 14
I can't think of many options other than something similar to Stax earspeakers. Have you considered IEM's?

Mar 14, 2011 at 11:57 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
I know the topic title sounds a little iffy, but i am a 21 year old dude with a 26mm hole in his left ear lobe who also likes his music very much and was wondering if any of you wonderful head-fiers could enlighten me on what headphones have the largest cup size and would best accomodate my stretched ear lobe.
Thank you

Since you didn't specify sound signature preferences or music to your liking, I'll have to do blind recommendations, based solely on driver sizes.

Here are a few headphones and their respective driver size:

- Sony XB700 ------------------------> (50mm)
- Sony XB1000 -----------------------> (70mm)
- Pioneer HDJ-2000 -------------------> (50mm)
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 ------------> (45mm)
- Denon AHD2000 ---------------------> (50mm)
- Allen & Heath Xone XD-53 -----------> (53mm)

Mar 15, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 14

Quote:

I don't get what your post has to do with the OP question.

Oh, I was simply expressing my opinion about stretched ears since that is the core issue/problem/difference/whateverYouWannaCallit that made this thread happen.
I didn't have any recommendations since I never really looked at the size of open cans, but just wanted to say something, though I would recommend Beyerdynamic or Sony's even with little knowledge =]
Sorry If i confused anyone or set a comment that was almost random such at this current one your reading now
beyersmile.png

Quote:
- Audio Technica ATH-M50 ------------> (45mm)

M50's are a no no for stretched ears. My normal ears fit snugly and right in the M50's with minimal room above or below the ear once the cups are over. So unless my ears are just too big, scratch the M50's off your list unless you want your lobes to be clamped lol.

Mar 15, 2011 at 1:20 PM Post #6 of 14
Sennheriser HD800 have the largest earcups and are your safest bet. It would be wise to try them beforehand to make sure, though. Is the ah... earing just ornamental or does it have some kind of symbolic value?

Mar 15, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktheg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

M50's are a no no for stretched ears. My normal ears fit snugly and right in the M50's with minimal room above or below the ear once the cups are over. So unless my ears are just too big, scratch the M50's off your list unless you want your lobes to be clamped lol.

I can confirm this. They aren't really that roomy.

Mar 16, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #8 of 14
The BeyerDynamic DT150 have large earcups and pads.
They sound very good too.

Mar 17, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #9 of 14
@samgotit the picture was taken on a webcam so excuse the poor quality but i felt it did what was needed in showing off what was in need of being accommodated for.
@amarphael It is mainly personal as i increase its size with every milestone on a personal path i set my self with a finishing size of 30mm. Also i suppose ornamental. The HD800 are a wee bit pricey though?

Im open to both open and closed cans, but i dont really feel IEM's are my cup of tea as i have previously had a couple of pairs and found them largely annoying, even though i have built in so to speak cable routing in my left ear. On ear headphones are an option as long as they are comfortable and dont have a large amount of clamping force.

Mar 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 14
Mar 18, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #11 of 14
Headphones like the AD700's might work for you.  They have extremely low clamping force and the headphones sort of "sit" on your head rather than clamp on them, which is why they have those extra wing things.  I'd imagine that even if if your ear ornament were in the way of the pads it wouldn't be uncomfortable.

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:08 PM Post #12 of 14
Hey, I have 7/8" plugs and I'm just considering removing some of the foam padding in the lower part of my ear cup so my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro's wont be smashing against them. I just got the headphones yesterday and am already contemplating doing this after wearing them at work for a pretty extended time. I would say DONT sacrifice wearing OE headphones if thats what you like because you have stretched ears, do what people like you and I love; MOD. 

(Body mod, Headphone mod)

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #13 of 14
I would keep the small piece of padding that you cut out for later on if you decide to sell them or something, or decide you dont like it. I just did this and my headphones fit so much better! Im not hearing any isolation lost, my plug fits right into the hole I made. PERFECT! First mod of mine, and a great one for comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back