Stressful wfh because of Covid19, what to do?
Dec 15, 2020 at 8:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

gleanfont

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

How are you doing? I wish all is well.

I, myself is not feeling good at the moment. I have been working from home ever since this Covid19 isolation and restrictions. I feel so stressed because my working area here at home is not conducive for working. It is kinda noisy especially when everyone is around. I already told them that somehow I need to focus and concentrate with work in a quiet environment. Good thing my work is non-voice, but still I cant focus when everyone is talking loudly, playing music, laughing out loud.

How I wish this Covid would be over the soonest! I am really stressed out that. It may sound just a simple problem but when you are here, you will feel the stress I am sharing. :tired_face::sweat:

Have you experienced this and what did you do? I do appreciate your comment. Thanks in advance.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #5 of 35
How about noise cancelling headphones with or without music playing? If you've never tried ANC the result is amazing. With white noise at a low level might be even better. Also think in terms of the ideal situation in these circumstances and what's realistically achievable today. Maybe the people around you still don't understand what you need.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 35
This is a decent one - V8-3 Wireless Bluetooth Multiangle Rotatable Headphone.
[/QUOTE]
And if you really want to block out the noise further, wear quality ear plugs and noise isolation ear muffs together simultaneously. Like the kind industrial workers wear in noisy environments

How about noise cancelling headphones with or without music playing? If you've never tried ANC the result is amazing. With white noise at a low level might be even better. Also think in terms of the ideal situation in these circumstances and what's realistically achievable today. Maybe the people around you still don't understand what you need.

Thanks for the helpful suggestion! I will try to check on ANC @moriez and for good quality ear muffs @Spareribs.

More than the noise itself, I am stressed with the whole situation that this Covid virus is bringing to every household - well for me and my family personally. It's really a struggle. And my work is being affected too (well plus a noisy and messy surrounding)...I made a few research about being stress and how to cope up and I bumped into this site (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/mental-health-healthcare.html). And I did find good insights such as to relax once in a while to somehow calm yourself and be energize again. Hmm, I just thought to share it in here too 'coz I found it useful too.

How's life treating you now?

Dec 23, 2020 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 35
Dec 27, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 35
More than the noise itself, I am stressed with the whole situation that this Covid virus is bringing to every household - well for me and my family personally. It's really a struggle. And my work is being affected too (well plus a noisy and messy surrounding)...I made a few research about being stress and how to cope up and I bumped into this site (https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/mental-health-healthcare.html). And I did find good insights such as to relax once in a while to somehow calm yourself and be energize again. Hmm, I just thought to share it in here too 'coz I found it useful too.

How's life treating you now?

The tips in the CDC link are quite excellent! Boris Johnson (UK) dropped the slogan ''hands, face, space'', which is about all we can do right? Abide those simple rules and use common sense like staying indoors more. Especially if you were healthy person before the pandemic there is little reason for a lot of stress increase. We have a lockdown here and the only change I personnally experience is non-essential shops closed down and everyone running around with face masks. Big deal given the situation.

Actively relax more like doing exercise/meditation, go along with situation, have calm faith. And listen to songs that contain words like everything will be allright ; )

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 35
Maybe there’s a positive side?

Since people are less social, there’s less gossiping

C96264E1-95E9-4AA3-8458-AD411F6E7076.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #12 of 35
A bigger issue for many who still have a job is realizing their personal and home lives are not good. Chasing short term goals and trying to keep up with others has led many people to a life that really sucks when you look past the 'glitter'.

Now that people are generally staying at home 24x7, realizing their 'significant other' is not really someone they want to spend their life with is harder to ignore. Add reduced or no income to soothe over the rough spots with the relationship and the downward spiral continues. Self-focus also tends to amplify these bad feelings.

Among my co-workers, a lot of them have a lot of 'good time' and superficial friends. This leads to a lot of people not having good support networks when tough times arrive like now. If you aren't good at being happy and fulfilled on your own, you really need REAL FRIENDS that are with you in thick and thin, good times and bad. Modern societies definitely don't support this type of relationship to any significant degree.

Add tensions from divisive politics or public policies and the oppression from self-interested hypocrites makes it harder to find the brighter side of life.

Regarding noise and distractions, do you have a picnic table or a shed you can turn into a 'man cave' to get a little peace and quiet? Mental confusion over a common space used for other things can be a problem for some. In my case, I don't read books, watch television or, use my laptops or tablets in my bedroom, otherwise, my sleep patterns become very problematic and irritability or mild depression or anxiety can start. Sleep hygiene is very important for me to avoid 'sleep stress'.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 5:11 AM Post #14 of 35
I do understand your thoughts and feelings on this terrible situation we're all in. I would suggest the following:

Get out - so some walking and vary your route from time to time.

ANC headphones are an excellent idea. I would recommend the Sony WH or WF models.

Use portable equipment so you can change your working environment whenever you want.

Remember that you're not alone in this. Stay positive, remember to be kind to people and be thoughtful of your personal space - don't hesitate to step back if people start to invade your personal space.

I hope this helps.

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #15 of 35
The tips in the CDC link are quite excellent! Boris Johnson (UK) dropped the slogan ''hands, face, space'', which is about all we can do right? Abide those simple rules and use common sense like staying indoors more. Especially if you were healthy person before the pandemic there is little reason for a lot of stress increase. We have a lockdown here and the only change I personnally experience is non-essential shops closed down and everyone running around with face masks. Big deal given the situation.

Actively relax more like doing exercise/meditation, go along with situation, have calm faith. And listen to songs that contain words like everything will be allright ; )

I agree with you @moriez . Just wondering why many people is so stubborn in these simple rules. These rules is not mainly for self protection but for the greater good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back