Street-Style Headphones & Shopping Info
Dec 7, 2006 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

oshox

New Head-Fier
This is a two-parter. First question:

I am looking to get my girlfriend a new pair of headphones that she can use with her iPod and her laptop. She's no audiophile, and she's mentioned she likes the "Street" style headphones. The ones that have caught my eye are the iGrado and the Beyerdynamic DTX30. The Beyer model is cheaper and has a wider range, but the only store in the US that stocks them has to special order them, and it will likely not be here by the 23'd.
So, the question becomes: Are the Beyer phones worth the extra effort, and are there any other stores that stock Beyerdynamic products in the US?

I saw this deal at B&H when I was shopping around. It seems unreal. I've had a pair of Grado SR-125's for about five years now, and I love them. But they're by far the most expensive headphones I've ever listened to, and I probably don't know any better. The problem is, the earpads are worn and the 1/4"-1/8" barrel adapters I've been using destroy output jacks. So I'm looking at about $30-$40 for new pads and the nifty Grado adapter (why aren't they all made this way?). Is it worth it to just upgrade to the Beyers?

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #2 of 6
[size=x-small] I am looking for street-style headphones, that fold up, for $50.00 or under! I had a pair of Sony Street Style that was top of the line probably 5 years ago (maybe longer) and they finally bit the dust. I have no idea what is good out there, I love all kinds of music but I mostly listen to Pop, Rock, and Metal! Love lots of bass.

My husband (Dcon67) said you are the experts and to ask you! Please help me, I miss my Ipod!
frown.gif
[/size]

Feb 18, 2007 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 6
I think Audio Technica ATH-Pro series can be candidate.
I think they offer some colors for PRO5 and PRO700.
I own PRO5MS (camo version)
I saw White PRO700 as well aw camo PRO700.
and PRO700 is foldable and bigger than PRO5.

Jan 17, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #5 of 6
The iGrados aren't only one of the best street style headphones, but they're also one of the best portables out there. I highly recommend them...especially if you already own the SR-125s. You'll first notice much more bass than the 125s. If you're looking for something that folds up, then you'll have to look elsewhere.

Regarding your 125s...if you're looking for an excuse to upgrade, then the beyers might be a good deal, but the SR-125s are nice headphones. What's your budget for a new set of headphones?

The best advice would be to find a place that will let you listen to a pair of headphones before you buy them to see if you like them before spending your money. Some places have walls of headphones that they'll let you listen to.

Jan 17, 2008 at 7:35 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcon67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[size=x-small] I am looking for street-style headphones, that fold up, for $50.00 or under! I had a pair of Sony Street Style that was top of the line probably 5 years ago (maybe longer) and they finally bit the dust. I have no idea what is good out there, I love all kinds of music but I mostly listen to Pop, Rock, and Metal! Love lots of bass.

My husband (Dcon67) said you are the experts and to ask you! Please help me, I miss my Ipod!
frown.gif
[/size]

You can get similar sony ones on amazon, though there are far better headphones out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back