streaming from WMC to Xbox 360
Jan 5, 2010 at 11:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

wes.coleman

100+ Head-Fier
This is probably a slightly inappropriate place for this to be, but I've been fooling around with setting up a streaming network from my PC to my 360. As I see it, my only problem is that my PC and 360 appear to be in different subnets (their subnet masks are completely and totally different). Would forcing my PC to use a different IP mask help this at all?

If it helps:

Router: Linksys BEFSR41 (which I understand is more of a switch than a router)
Firewall: None yet, haven't purchased one since I upgraded to W7.

I'd actually rather use the Zune software than WMC, but I'll settle for WMC for starters.

Jan 6, 2010 at 12:36 AM Post #2 of 4
Do you need them to be on different subnets?
Do you have auto ip config enabled on them?

I would just set up everything using auto config for the ip/dns/subnet-mask/gateway etc and go from there.
If that doesn't work, try forcing them to be on the same subnet as the router.

I have my PS3 and PC communicating right now over my network. I left everything setup as auto and it worked.
Then I used ip address reservation in my router's config so that each device on my network always has the same ip.
This is handy when you need to do alot of port forwarding, which I had to do with PS3 Media Server in order for my PC to see the PS3.
By the way, PS3 Media Server works with Xbox 360 and is very handy for transcoding different video codecs.

I am not a network wiz and don't claim to be, but this worked for me with my PS3. I can't imagine it would be that much different using an Xbox 360, but your router might require some fooling around with. It looks to be a UPnP router, so it should work.

Jan 6, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodmunch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you need them to be on different subnets?
Do you have auto ip config enabled on them?

I would just set up everything using auto config for the ip/dns/subnet-mask/gateway etc and go from there.
If that doesn't work, try forcing them to be on the same subnet as the router.

I have my PS3 and PC communicating right now over my network. I left everything setup as auto and it worked.
Then I used ip address reservation in my router's config so that each device on my network always has the same ip.
This is handy when you need to do alot of port forwarding, which I had to do with PS3 Media Server in order for my PC to see the PS3.
By the way, PS3 Media Server works with Xbox 360 and is very handy for transcoding different video codecs.

I am not a network wiz and don't claim to be, but this worked for me with my PS3. I can't imagine it would be that much different using an Xbox 360, but your router might require some fooling around with. It looks to be a UPnP router, so it should work.

I need them to be in the same subnet (my wording above was bad). By different subnet mask, I mean changing my PC's current mask to one that matches the Xbox's. Also, having a true router might help things. My friend who is in grad school for some god awful computing nonsense tells me most linksys "routers" are some sort of switches and they're different somehow.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 4
Wes, your friend is absolutely right. Linksys Routers 9 times out of 10 have a switch built directly into the hardware. Therefore, depending on how you have your network setup (computer connected to the router, xbox connected differently) will make a huge impact on connectivity for the hardware that is within that network (i.e., printer/file sharing, etc.)

The best thing to do honestly, is leave your DSL/CABLE Modem as is, and doing a hardware reset of the Router. It probably does not have DHCP enabled and static IP's are what is disabling the feature of connecting your PC to Xbox.

I have a streaming network from my wired computer to my wireless xbox, and it runs flawlessly. My only complaint is latency between the two.

Ensure to reset your Router (via the red button on the back) for 30-60 seconds. Once this is completed, try connecting to the internet from both locations. If one connects, but the other doesn't, ensure your IP addressing for your PC/Xbox is not configured manually, and set to automatic.

To access this from the computer, go to the Device Manager and change the IP settings for the NIC on your PC. If your Xbox is configured manually, perform the same objective on that, and make it configure automatically. This setting will enable the router to perform IP mapping automatically, so you do not have to do the work.

Once this is completed, test the equipment. If all connects to the internet properly, your DHCP network is setup, and automatic IP mapping in enabled. This basically means your network addresses will be continual (192.168.1.1, ..168.1.2, ..168.1.3, etc.) and the other Subnet and DNS settings will be configured automatically.

Try doing the stream again, and it should go no problem. Just search around for Automatic IP Configuration, and I am sure you'll find step-by-step procedures to perform the task. Ensure your router is reset, then u are good to go.

Good Luck partner.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back