Streaming from iPhone XR to Raspberry Pi4/PI2AES Digital Audio Shield, Resolution Question
Oct 9, 2020 at 1:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

tterral

New Head-Fier
I have not yet put the RPi4/Pi2AES Audio Shield unit together yet, but am needing to find out when streaming from my iPhone if there will be any limitations on the resolution of the stream to the Pi4/AES unit. I know AirPlay only streams at a maximum resolution of 16 bit/ 44.1kHz, but since the Pi4/AES will be hardwired to my modem, I did not know if the iphone was capable of streaming at a better resolution over WiFi (I believe AirPlay is over WiFi, so maybe not....). I currently hardwire connect my iPhone to my Schiit Modius and Asgard 3 stack via the USB connection (have Apple lightning to USB Camera Adapter) and am able to get HiRes songs, via Amazon Music HD, to play up to 24/192, if the track supports that resolution.

The Pi4/AES streamer will probably be sold if I can only stream CD quality to it. I wanted to connect the Pi4/AES via AES connection to my Modius, instead of using the current Unison USB, hear the AES connection is better.

I am not planning on using my laptop (old Asus model) as my source for streaming audio to my headphone or main stereo system, prefer using the iPhone/iPad, unless this will restrict the resolution if I stream, instead of having it hardwired. I realize the computer method opens a number of other options and may go that route down the road. Both headphone and stereo systems are in my den/AV room, so prefer not to have to fire up a laptop to play HiRes music in there. Hoping I do not have to continue with the hardwire route to get HiRes, but from what I have read, it looks like it may just be that way, due to Apple not embracing HiRes audio. Hoping for some other options that can help me achieve what I am looking to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back