streaming audio, when will it be consumer ready?
Sep 9, 2016 at 6:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mordante

New Head-Fier
A while I used a laptop running Foobar to stream music from my NAS. However Foobar is many things but user friendly is not one of them. Endless amount of plugins, drivers, customization is needed and even then you need to pray and hope it works

So I got tired of that. So I bought a Auralic Aries LE. Maybe the biggest mistake in audio I ever made. It is utterly unreliable. Keeps losing network connect, I have to re-install it every time I switch it of. There is no web interface so you have to use the iPad app. We all know iPads mediocre in quality and designed by someone who takes pleasure in confusing people. I've have the iPad sinec about 8 months and still hardly know how to use it. Does not even come with a proper of button.

What I really dislike about the Aries app that it shows the albums per artist by album title. When I select say UB40 I exect to see the oldest album first or the newest.

Also tried Tidal on my PC on as part of the Aries app. Tidal is just pure crap the UI is maybe even worse then the iPad. It take long to find a certain song then to it would take to listen to the song.

It took analogue audio close to 40 year to become some what reliable. I hoped streaming would go faster.

Sep 14, 2016 at 8:15 AM Post #4 of 5
A while I used a laptop running Foobar to stream music from my NAS. However Foobar is many things but user friendly is not one of them. Endless amount of plugins, drivers, customization is needed and even then you need to pray and hope it works

So I got tired of that. So I bought a Auralic Aries LE. Maybe the biggest mistake in audio I ever made. It is utterly unreliable. Keeps losing network connect, I have to re-install it every time I switch it of. There is no web interface so you have to use the iPad app. We all know iPads mediocre in quality and designed by someone who takes pleasure in confusing people. I've have the iPad sinec about 8 months and still hardly know how to use it. Does not even come with a proper of button.

What I really dislike about the Aries app that it shows the albums per artist by album title. When I select say UB40 I exect to see the oldest album first or the newest.

Also tried Tidal on my PC on as part of the Aries app. Tidal is just pure crap the UI is maybe even worse then the iPad. It take long to find a certain song then to it would take to listen to the song.

It took analogue audio close to 40 year to become some what reliable. I hoped streaming would go faster.

What part of analog took 40 years to get reliable? Quad speakers in stereo with valve amps and an ortofon moving coil sounded pretty awesome in 1960.

Mount the music share of your nas as a pc drive and then organize as you see fit and use any player you prefer. Wont need a server program if you want to avoid using one. You can also install a selected server program on your NAS and serve it up to your pc via a phone interface as controller with search options defined by the server program and not the player. The stuff is out there. You simply need to know how to interface it and make it fit your specific needs. Could it be easier? Maybe but PCs are one size fits all appliances and not dedicated music components. Allowing a significant amount of options and ways to do things also makes them more difficult to configure for a specific need. Music streaming is alive and well. I think the fault lies elsewhere. Whether that's in using the PC itself or having not found the best programs/interfaces for your specific requirements.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back