Streaming Apple Lossless/MP3 to an iPhone
Nov 7, 2009 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Darwin022

100+ Head-Fier
Too. Many. Gadgets. <- That's what I carry around every day and I'd like to reduce that a bit.

I'm looking for a solution to stream my iTunes library (mostly Apple Lossless) over wifi or 3G to an iPhone or iPod touch at work and at home. In the background, the way the iPod app will. "Impossible!" you say. I've got most of the bits and pieces already but I'm lacking a piece of iPhone software to handle it and would like to hear your solutions and suggestions
smily_headphones1.gif

Here's the parts bin to pull from (and I might not mind buying more hardware if it will do the job. Please don't recommend a non-ipod portable playerthough, that's the only request.

- 8GB iPhone 3G. Jailbroken
- Running "Backgrounder" which will let you enable backgrounding on apps. Works well for streaming radio softwares I've tried.
- 32GB iPhone 3GS. Non-jailbroken (work phone so I can't jailbreak it)
- 8GB iPod Touch (previous generation)
- 160GB iPod Classic (I love it but would like to remove this from my pockets.)
- Macbook Pro. This will be on the same network as the iDevice almost all of the time (at work/home)
- Mac Pro. This will be online all of the time and I have the ability to port forward if I need to. It is at home so it will only be on the same network as the iDevice part of the time.
- Wireless. Since no iDevice supports 802.11n yet, there will be an 802.11g network in all locations.
- 3G network on the iPhones.
- iTunes. There, I said it. I gave up trying to find something that was better and still intuitive/worked with everything for Mac).

So far I've tried Simplify Media and Orb. Both look great and look like they'll do the job but fail pretty miserably with my library (~15500 tracks. I'd be happy enough with the ability to easily and quickly load 5000 tracks). They both just takes way too long to open initially and there's often a track-to-track gap/pause. When I tried Orb today, about 40% of the lossless files would play, the others errored or just stopped and wouldn't skip to the next track.

Do any of you know of another piece of software for the iPhone (jailbroken or non) that will do this well? I don't mind having another client on my Mac, but if so, it would be nice for them to use the LAN instead of having to go out over The Internets and send the traffic through a third party's systems.

Having the client and app respect the bitrate would also be a huge plus.

...Wonder if you can create an SSH tunnel and a symlink to the ipod folder on the iPhone
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 4
No one has any suggestions? wow
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 4
I use Simplify and with 41787 tracks I really haven't had many issues with streaming. Admittedly I probably do not use it as much as you, but when I have loaded it up, after an initial warm up period it seems to work great and is pretty responsive. About 85% of my library is Apple Lossless the rest is high bit rate MP3/ AAC.

I guess that doesn't help you much but I would not give up on Simplify. One other thing is you can just load certain playlists. Why not make a playlist that holds a minimum of what you want so it does not have to load everything. May speed things up.

Nov 9, 2009 at 10:50 PM Post #4 of 4
or try Slimserver (on your source will stream your music to a local or (if you have the bandwidth) remote player. Use Ipeng to control it, and whatever you're normally using to stream it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back