Streamer for Spotify from windows pc
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

drummerdimitri

500+ Head-Fier
It is my understanding that using a network streamer to send digital audio to my Chord Qutest DAC would be better than my current setup which is connecting the DAC to my gaming PC via USB.

I do have a few questions about the whole setup though.

If I do get a streamer such as the SOTM sMS-200 NEO, would I just have to select it as an output device on Spotify?

How can I control the sampling rate and bit depth on such a device as I do on my computer?

Finally, would this be the best way to get the most out of my audio chain?

Dec 18, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #2 of 7
Still what are you going to connect your streamer into your DAC? USB?
I believe a cost effective solution is go optical. Like Audiowise's SRC•DX USB to Dual-Coax Bridge.
Have a look at it.

Dec 18, 2022 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 7
Still what are you going to connect your streamer into your DAC? USB?
I believe a cost effective solution is go optical. Like Audiowise's SRC•DX USB to Dual-Coax Bridge.
Have a look at it.
Streamer to DAC via USB.

I already have optical on my PC but for some reason the bass sounds softer/less impactful from that so how would a USB to optical converter be any better?

Doesn't the Qutest buffer the optical input as well to its own internal clock?

The product you linked is not a USB to optical but USB to Coax converter just FYI.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #4 of 7
It is my understanding that using a network streamer to send digital audio to my Chord Qutest DAC would be better than my current setup which is connecting the DAC to my gaming PC via USB.
What make you think so?

If I do get a streamer such as the SOTM sMS-200 NEO, would I just have to select it as an output device on Spotify?
Better check as it doesn't look like this is possible looking at the protocols it supports. Looking at https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/ I wonder if this is possible. In general streamers can't be selected as an output device on a PC.

Dec 18, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #5 of 7
What make you think so?

Better check as it doesn't look like this is possible looking at the protocols it supports. Looking at https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/ I wonder if this is possible. In general streamers can't be selected as an output device on a PC.

Good to know, maybe a streamer isn't the solution I needed after all.

I'm thinking the best way to go about it is to get a DDC to converter USB to optical to feed the DAC that as according to Rob Watts, it is the best input choice as it is 100% electrically isolated.

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Sorry, yes SPDIF BNC. Chord conisdered the optimum connection (along with dual AES).
And yes, even THAT solution is not optimal. For reclock and reduce gitter:
- Yes as you said, either go for a DDC: SIngxer SU-6 (own one), Audio-GD DI20(HE), Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2
- or USB Reclock-Regen: JCAT USB Card XE

Users who are viewing this thread

Back