Streamer + DAC - separates or one box solution?
Aug 29, 2021 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Decoconnas

New Head-Fier
Budget around $6k. My current rig is in my signature except I am evaluating an upgrade to headphone amp from v200 to either v280 or Aurium. My digital source is I feel by far the weakest link. Music I most listen to is hard rock and jazz.

My current plan is to audition the Yggdrasil and if I like how it sounds from my laptop and/or Sony Hap Z1es, to look for a dedicated streamer under $3k (Aurender, Auralic, Innuous or Lumin).

But maybe I should be looking at a two in one offered by companies like PS Audio, Auralic, Aurender etc? Or something that also plays discs like Marantz etc?

I can live with just streaming and don’t need Roon.

My experience with amps is that I really prefer separates and they are worth it if one can afford it (also need space more cables and generally more hassle).

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

Aug 30, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #2 of 3
I recommend separate products. On DAC front, IMHO there is not much development in terms of input formats. From my point of view, 24/192 FLAC is just enough for the rest of my life. I don't need DSD, MQA etc. So if you purchase DAC which suits you by its sound, you're done for good or at least for long time (I have Yggdrasil A2, no plans to change it). Streaming is way more dynamic area, new services appear etc., so there I'm afraid of built-in streamers with questionable future upgrades and vendor support. I think streamers based on Raspberry Pi are very good (namely PI2AES), but honestly, there is no contest compared to Bluesound Node in terms of ease of use and number of streaming services supported. So, if should recommend some respectable vendor product, I'd go with BlueOS platform, maybe NAD M50.2, if you look for higher end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back