Streamer and DDC with AES/EBU output
Mar 25, 2024 at 4:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gregfilip

New Head-Fier
For several reasons I have been off music for a while but I am now getting back to our hobby. I am interested in streaming, I have an older DAC ( Weiss DAC202) with no USB i/f, which sounds best with either Firewire (anyone remember it?) or AES/EBU inputs. I am not interested in upgrading the DAC which sounds excellent. I also have a high end PC which could be used as a server and a NAS so all I need is a steamer/renderer. I see most streamers lack AES and/or Spdif interfaces and USB seems to be the generally accepted interface.
What I was thinking was using a good streamer with USB output and a DDC to convert the USB to AES or Spdif. Question is should I get a better streamer with something like a SRC-DX or a lesser streamer with a better DDC like the Audio-GD DI20HE/Singxer SU6/Denafrips Hermes.
I could buy a streamer with the desired interfaces but the choice is restrictive and the better ones are beyond my budget.
Alternatively I could build a low powered PC with a linear PSU (as a renderer) and use something like HQplayer.
Streamers I am considering (I appreciate some are server/streamer) : Second hand Antipodes EX, Innuos Zen/Zenith, older Aurender N100.
DDCs : SRC-DX, Audio-GD DI20HE (or newer DI24HE), Singrex SU6, Martix X-spdif, Denafrips Hermes.
Budget: up to 4,000 Euro.
Thanks,
Greg

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 2
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back