streamer advice?
Sep 17, 2017 at 8:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

melomaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
Been waiting for the day when I have to finally replace my original Slim Devices (Logitech) Transporter (DAC/Streamer). I probably use TIDAL as much as the music I have on my NAS these days. I like my amp/speakers/cables, so I won't change much there soon. So, I'm compiling a shortlist of streamers that have good reviews and fit into the chain, with the following attributes:

- balanced output
- UPnP
- remote/app not restricted to one OS only (iOS vs Android, proprietary, etc)

But so far I have found only the Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, because neither the Auralic Aries Mini nor the Pioneer N50A have balanced out, the PS Junior is a bit pricey for me (would like to stay below $2k, or lower). I haven't found much about the Arcam rPlay, the Bluesound Node2 doesn't have balanced out, and I guess the Naim line-up does not work because they want to power speakers, and I just want a streamer/DAC that takes the spot the Transporter has held so valiantly...

What am I not seeing? There must be other fully featured audiophile streamers with balanced outputs?

Sep 17, 2017 at 9:19 PM Post #2 of 7
PS: I have auditioned the SONY HAPZ1ES and it sounds very good, but it's not going to do TIDAL or play from the NAS in another room...

But I may just have found a good candidate, at a lower price than the CA Azur: The Oppo Sonica DAC - does anyone have any listening experience with this? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #3 of 7
Curious: Why only UPnP?
I have looked into streamers a while ago, and always came back to the Sonus offerings. I just think they are ugly... if they could put their "Connect" into a good looking metal chassis, I would probably own one already.

But it's the features I like about it, in my opinion they really have a lot to offer, with a well working interface.

Since I do only windows type of file sharing at home (actually I use Samba via a FreeBSD server), it would fit right in.

So again, why does it have to be UPnP?

Sep 18, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 7
well, it doesn't necessarily have to be upnp - it's just inertia because that's what I've set up for the past years. I'm not convinced by the sonos ecosystem - there are trade-offs with every convenience. (you write sonus but I think you mean sonos, unless you're referring to another brand). I don't use windows either any more. but any decent NAS can serve up a range of different solutions that work with a number of different streaming devices... just looking for one that sounds good, has balanced outputs for my main system, and works with the NAS in my office.

Sep 18, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #5 of 7
well, it doesn't necessarily have to be upnp - it's just inertia because that's what I've set up for the past years. I'm not convinced by the sonos ecosystem - there are trade-offs with every convenience. (you write sonus but I think you mean sonos, unless you're referring to another brand). I don't use windows either any more. but any decent NAS can serve up a range of different solutions that work with a number of different streaming devices... just looking for one that sounds good, has balanced outputs for my main system, and works with the NAS in my office.
Yes I meant Sonos. What are the trade-offs that you don't like about it? Just curious. With the "Connect", you could always connect your own DAC later, if you don't like the DAC of the Sonos Connect.

Maybe tell us a little more about your system. If you are not using Windows, what do you use then? I hope it's Linux :)

Your system only has balance inputs? Do you think you really need balanced connections?

What NAS are you using, UPnP enabled, windows-file-sharing (or Samba)?

What are you trying to achieve exactly?

For what it's worth, Tidal has a list of audio players that work with Tidal... maybe you like one of those in that list:
https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-us/sections/200680222-Home-Audio-Players

I find the Lumin quite interesting... haven't tried it, but it looks to be very well built. I did try their software on my iPhone just to test it, and it was pretty good.

Sep 18, 2017 at 9:12 PM Post #6 of 7
thx. guess what - I know I could use other connections. I'm telling you I prefer balanced ones when available, and linux to windows (who doesn't?)...
I have heard devices by lumin and linn and devialet - all very good - but I was asking for recommendations for streaming products (many are new) which I might have overlooked.
can't audition them all myself, so that's the main value of a forum - many other experienced listeners who have access to stuff I don't get to hear.

a lot of the really good streaming are more expensive that I like, though :wink: had a chance to get a PS with bridge, which probably sounds best, but I'm past spending that much on audio...
for me the sweet spot is somewhere. let's say, well above consumer convenience but below summit-fi perfectionism. (I'm a former professional musician and I listen to music, not to gear.)
if it satisfies you, I have a lot of friends with whole-house sonos systems that they like, and I just want something else :wink:

but again, I started this thread not so people can debate what else I can change in my home, or so evey fanboi can defend their choices. I just want a longer list of good candidates :wink:

Sep 18, 2017 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 7
Don't get me wrong, I am not a Sonos fanboy. I don't even own one. It was just on my short-list when I researched streamers some time ago.

Well, I cannot give you much advice, since I build my own streaming solution with a media PC, running OpenElec, controlled via TV and a universal remote, and another streamer from an older PC, running Arch Linux and MPD, which I control with the mPod app from my iPhone. Works great, the downside however is, that I can only listen to my own music, but so far that hasn't bothered me much... if I really want to, I can run google chrome and play music from Deezer.

I would have suggested to build a Linux-based system yourself, but it is probably a bit too much... and I am not sure if there are any Linux-based Tidal plugins or software packages.

So I will shut up now and let others talk about their streamers :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back