Stream Audio from Computer to Droid over Wifi!
May 6, 2012 at 7:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

headfinoob

100+ Head-Fier
There are several ways to stream content from your computer to your phone such as DLNA, CIFS, FTP, and various apps.

This is different, and pretty useful and great in its own way.
https://play.google.com/store/search?q=soundwire
This app runs on your Android.  There is a small server application that runs on your computer.
When the server and app are connected (over Wifi) then the computer's audio stream is broadcast over the network to the phone.
In this way anything that your computer is playing will be broadcast to the phone.
The server app suggests changing your audio output settings in Windows to 44100.

I tested the bandwidth while running the app and confirmed that there is a constant upload of 1.44mbps from the computer- even with no sound on the computer playing.
I did try to use WASAPI in Foobar with my sound settings set to 44100.  If the server program is not running, then I can hear lossless audio as normal.  If I run the server program and try to play WASAPI in Foobar, then the server program spits an error and there is no sound.
What I am wondering is if the Windows kmixer is resampling all windows audio content to 44100 when the output settings in Windows is set to to 44100.  I am also wondering if content (CD audio 44100) in Foobar without WASAPI is kept lossless (or at least not resampled) when the output settings in Windows is set at 44100.
Anyways, there is a bit a latency which seems roughly 0.5sec.  I was able to completely compensate when playing videos in VLC player by advancing the audio stream in the VLC settings.
It is pretty cool to be able to have the computer playing videos while using your phone like wireless headphones.
When you get a phone call, the audio stream stops.

Check it out!  I am curious if it is essentially lossless when playing CDs in Foobar with the Windows audio settings set to 44100.  Android OS uses 44100 16 stereo.
Keep in mind that most phones seem to do some sort of processing to the signal.  I have a Samsung Droid Charge that has a Wolfson WM8994 audio hub.  I run Voodoo Sound which provides an abilitity to go directly to the DAC.

My conclusion is that the app isn't great for gaming, but is great for streaming music and playing videos in VLC (and likely other players.)  You could also use it as an audio monitor for an entrance or baby room or whatever the mind thinks of.

May 8, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #2 of 3
Selfbump, nobody is down with this?
I thought this was the coolest thing on Android since I got CIFS working along with Voodoo Sound

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

May 8, 2012 at 2:23 PM Post #3 of 3
I sometimes use BubbleUPnP to stream from Foobar to my DX100. Works very well.

There is a component that lets Foobar run it's own media server which many clients can access.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back