STRDH130 vs SMLS/Topping/etc vs Used
Sep 22, 2017 at 10:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

sheamus

New Head-Fier
Looking for an amp to drive a new set of Polk tsi200's. It is a secondary system, and will only be connected to a Chromecast.

I am going to stick the receiver out of site, in the top shelf of a cupboard, so it can be ugly :). It won't be near any other equipment though (other than lights).

I like the fact that the T amps can will have no hiss, as the thing will likely get left on a lot. I was just going to buy the Q5 Pro, but I can get the STRDH130 for $10 more.... ($140 vs $150 CAD). Is it safe to assume the STRDH130 will sound better at high volumes, but may hiss?

There are a number of old receivers available. But most of the ones that have optical in (which I want for the chromecast) are old AV receivers which tend to be huge! And the used stereo receivers I have come across do not have optical input. Any downside to an old AV receiver vs Stereo? I assume I can expect a fair bit of hiss with these?

EDIT: was just offered an Onkyo 8020 locally for $50 in mint condition. This is a pretty new receiver, but it seems that it doesn't have an optical input? Is that correct? I guess for this price I could buy an external DAC and still be under $100 total.

Advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back