Strange vocal texture on some songs?
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:40 AM Post #16 of 23
I think it's a flaw in the recording. If the flaw wasn't there, you probably wouldn't have noticed a significant difference between either sets of cans. You would have just heard a different response curve.

Dec 10, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #17 of 23
I think it's a flaw in the recording. If the flaw wasn't there, you probably wouldn't have noticed a significant difference between either sets of cans. You would have just heard a different response curve.
Well, it does sound a lot smoother on the K371 overall. If I weren’t paying attention I probably wouldn’t notice it. It sounds less “digital” in those parts but I can hear where it’s happening still, I think, although less frequently (it happens throughout the entire verse on the 177X almost, but only a couple spots on the K371). But I think I see what you’re saying. On most of my music I don’t hear anything like that, just the response curve differences. Hope I’m explaining it correctly lol.

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #18 of 23
You've established that there is some sort of artifacting. The most likely kind of artifact would be compression artifacting, but you say it is a high rate AAC file. That makes me think that it is clipping.

Dec 10, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #19 of 23
You've established that there is some sort of artifacting. The most likely kind of artifact would be compression artifacting, but you say it is a high rate AAC file. That makes me think that it is clipping.
Yep, definitely something like that within the recording/mastering. Just heard it in my IEM too, about in the middle of the two full sized cans I used, and the differences in tuning/peaks exacerbating it.

Thank you again for your help!

Dec 13, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #21 of 23
Was the clipping happening in playback or encoding? I've run into clipping on encoding a couple of times, but it is very rare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back