Strange Total BitHead problem
May 25, 2007 at 1:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BeeEss

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all:

I'm having a really weird problem with my Total Bithead, and was hoping maybe you folks could help me out.

I'm using the BitHead with a MacBook Pro, which has 2 USB ports. I noticed the other day that when I'm using the right-hand side USB port, the sound is bad. There is static and digital noise - it kinda sounds like there is cellphone interference on the line, or like the kind of noise you get with a really low quality MP3. Switch over to the left-hand side USB port, and everything is crystal clear and sounds great.

I tested the BitHead on all the USB ports of my Windows desktop with the same source material, and the sound was perfect. Also, I tried an M-Audio FastTrack USB with the MacBook Pro, and the sound that came out of that device was perfect on both USB ports. I also switched out the USB cable with two different ones; no luck.

It seems like if the problem was the port on the computer, it would exhibit the same behavior with other USB sound devices. On the other hand, it seems that if the problem was the BitHead, it would behave the same way on other computers or on all ports of the same machine.

Anybody have any thoughts? When I first got the BitHead, both USB ports sounded great. Then at some point, the right side port started being noisy. I can use the other one for now, but I'm worried that it will come down with the same affliction over time. Both the BitHead and MacBook Pro are still under warranty, but I hate requesting service when both work fine independently of each other but just not together.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

--b

May 25, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 3
Based on the steps you took to diagnose, it is most likely a problem with that one physical port. The reason why it only shows up on one device is that different devices have different sensitivities to various problems and issues.

Note that the above is just a statement of universal diagnostic principles, and is not about the bithead specifically.

May 29, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #3 of 3
noticed similar things with my somewhat aging total bithead. on some computers, one of the USB ports will have issues. usually switching to another port eliminates the issue. let us know if you decide to try to have someone replace one USB port under warranty claims... hope it works for you. might not be worth it if you have another port that is problem-free.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back