Strange things happening to me (music related DAC / Computer question)
Mar 7, 2010 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

DavidMahler

Headphoneus Supremus
once about every 20/30 minutes when I'm listening to my music on my rig (which uses a iMac running iTunes (Front Row), and a my MSB Platinum DAC connected via toslink, the music skips ahead like a 10th of a second.

Let me rephrase just incase all the info made my problem unclear. When I listen to music, I am often getting unpleasant skips and I want to know how to determine if it's the computer, the DAC or even the external hard drive which has the music stored in in which happens to be a Western Digital My Book 2TB connected via USB.

Any ideas of what's going on?

Mar 7, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidMahler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
once about every 20/30 minutes when I'm listening to my music on my rig (which uses a iMac running iTunes (Front Row), and a my MSB Platinum DAC connected via toslink, the music skips ahead like a 10th of a second.

Let me rephrase just incase all the info made my problem unclear. When I listen to music, I am often getting unpleasant skips and I want to know how to determine if it's the computer, the DAC or even the external hard drive which has the music stored in in which happens to be a Western Digital My Book 2TB connected via USB.

Any ideas of what's going on?

Maybe it's you Mac or hard drive trying to go into stand-by and deciding not to? It would sort of match the time table for a lot of computers and it might cause a 'skip'.

Just guessing, of course.

Mar 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 4
I do have similar equipment, and have had problems with 'Front Row' like you.

Office : 2 x iMac
Lounge : Apple TV.

When I use the iMac during the work day to listen to music I do it direct in itunes, i.e. not via the front row interface.
On more than one occasion the front row interface has let me down, sometimes is seems to just stop for no reason or at least the display will lag and then catch up.

My suggestion, front row requires extra work from the iMac, linked in to the itunes library. Basically Front Row is an extra layer of pretty stuff you can do with out.
Try running iTunes without entering front row. this might solve your issue, can't guarantee it, but I gave up on Front Row ages ago!

Mar 10, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 4
if your DAC is connected thru toslink, i dont believe it is the DAC

probably something to do with iTunes/computer. unless your ext hdd had some sort of auto standby mode, i dont see why it would do that if it's "reading" the music file tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back