Strange Thing Happens to My Denon AH-D1001's
Jul 22, 2009 at 10:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

rhfactor1

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if this strange happens with anybody's Denon headphones in any model? Over the past month I have been doing quite a few listening tests with new and old headphones that I own. A few times I have picked up my Denon AH-D1001's to listen to them and they have sounded very mushy and ill-defined, so I have put them aside and let music play through them about 30-45 minutes, picked them up again and they sounded fine. The only thing I can figure is that they are effected sometimes by very high humidity, (Let me try to explain), within the last month the state that I live in is in its monsoon season (Arizona) and somedays when there would be thunderstorms and rain the humidity would be from 60% to 100%. I have owned the Denon's for about 5 months and this is the only time I've have this happen to me until this last month. Could Denon's microfiber diaphram be effected by high humidy? Has this behavior been noticed by owners of any Denon headphones? And if this is true why Denon would use a diaphram material that would be so effected by high humidty in its diaphram material. Maybe I'm just paranoid or just wrong altogether but I swear it has happening at least three to four times this last month. Your feedback is appreicated. Happy Listening.
confused_face_2.gif

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #2 of 11
What is you source? is it through a portable system or a home setup? It could easily be the headphones, but there is a chance something is happening further up the chain

Jul 23, 2009 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 11
I really have no idea, but you seem to have fairly scientifically isolated humidity as the probable causitive factor. Have you tried contacting Denon? When I had strange problems with my ATH-M50 and MDR-7506, I called the manufacturers, and they definitely talked to me. Then again, the AT engineers took notes and said they'd get back to me and never did, and Sony denied that I was even experiencing the problem, which ensured I would never again by a Sony headphone.

Jul 24, 2009 at 12:25 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by auradud3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also had the same model could not get rid of that weak 1001 sound so i just sent them back to headroom now i am listening just right with my new rs1i's

what is "that" weak d1001 sound?

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:33 AM Post #8 of 11
the weak sound was that the bass overpowered the mids, i burned then in and after i did i was using a bithead ampdac and everything was just missing, i was a-bing with the only cans left in house, an older pair of senn 470's even though the 1001's had tons more head room they just had no balance, no stereo image, no soundstage, too much missing from very well known music. the much cheaper 470's sounded much more well rounded. i have heard many with the same complaints it is thier entry into audiophile. and to be honest i have never been a denon audio fan i love the video products, but i like a more analytical defined balanced sound.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #9 of 11
I find my tube amps, the I+ for the D1001 in particular, have changed the sound by a lot, while i miss the sound of open cans with them, there is so much detail now, the tubes give the sound more "depth" i think (not that it would come close to HD600 on tube amp, but closer to HD600 on SS amp), that together with the nice bass (i did stuff them and line the cups, just not dynamat) makes for some really nice listening. If i didn't own the HD600 already, the D1001 + LD I+ combo i think would have kept me from looking at other phones for a while longer.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #10 of 11
High Humidity could be a factor. It usually takes about half an hour to get a good sound out of mine, however that is probably because it is the first half an hour in the morning when I am half asleep.

As for auradud's comments about the lack of balance, I think it is a preference about the sound signature. Certain tracks sound just like bass and can sound horrible as such, but when listening to music geared to be bass heavy they sound great.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by auradud3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i also had the same model could not get rid of that weak 1001 sound so i just sent them back to headroom now i am listening just right with my new rs1i's

That's one hell of an upgrade.
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back