Strange Symptoms
May 15, 2022 at 10:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Cannabase

New Head-Fier
Since October of last year I've been having strange symptoms when using headphones. It was only caused by IEMS then rapidly progressed to being caused by all types of headphones. None of these symptoms occur when I wear the headphones or put them in my ear. They are only caused when sound starts to get emitted from them. When I listen to headphones, I get this weird pain in my neck on my left side in my cervical spine area. I definitely get the sense that my neck muscles tense up, both the SCM muscle and cervical spine neck muscles. Eventually, I also get sinus congestion, ear fullness and tonsil inflammation later in the day or next day. These symptoms all occur on the left side.

If I stop listening to headphones the symptoms very gradually go away. I visited an ENT, physician, acupuncturist, chiropractor and none of them have heard of these symptoms. I did a hearing test and eustachian tube dysfunction test that all came back negative. I thought it was TMJ but that doesn't really explain the fact that it's only aggravated by auditory signals. The only thing I can comprehend is that there was some potential nerve damage from long COVID or some dental filling I had that is causing these strange symptoms.

I'm hoping that someone has experienced something similar and can identify the issue. I've been an audiophile since I was like 7 years old and the thought of not being able to use headphones is morally crushing to me. If anyone has any information, I would really appreciate it.

May 15, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 6
I would look for a second opinion from an audiologist.

May 15, 2022 at 1:08 PM Post #3 of 6
You should get an mri scan on your neck and upper back and/or an fmri scan of your brain to check for tumors or cysts. Many different doctors can look at the scans for anything special about the scans, but looking for anything causing pressure is vital to your overall health and life.

Jun 3, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #4 of 6
You should get an mri scan on your neck and upper back and/or an fmri scan of your brain to check for tumors or cysts. Many different doctors can look at the scans for anything special about the scans, but looking for anything causing pressure is vital to your overall health and life.
I had an MRI done and had the radiologist assess it. Nothing came up except for some disc displacement lower in my neck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back