Strange question - found 2 old PPAs that are 95% complete
Apr 17, 2012 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

BPRJam

100+ Head-Fier
Cleaning out my basement the other day, I found 2 PPAs I was assembling some time ago. If you don't know what a PPA is, it is a DIY headphone amp that was state-of-the-art several years ago. I seem to remember that they were designed by Morsel, Tangent, and Phil Rocco. I've not been on Head-Fi in so long I don't even know if they are still around in the forum.

In any case, they are 95% assembled and both work. They need the case work done on them, which includes installing the headphone jack and the audio input plugs. They have boutique nichicon muse caps, with some diamond buffers, pots to do the bias trimming, the whole nine yards. I remember being so excited about these, and then my wife got pregnant and things changed. I still listen to my HD600s, but through a home reciever rather than needing a separate amp.

I'd like to sell these mostly assembled PPAs to someone who would want them, but I don't know if they are worth anything since it has been so long. I think I put something like $100 in parts into each PPA (I have the parts receipt around somewhere), and I'd be willing to get rid of them at a discount, but just don't know how to go about it.

I know this is a strange request, but can anyone comment and let me know if they're worth me trying to sell as-is?
What would YOU do with them?

Thanks.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 11
Here you go.

Both boards have Glassman diamond buffers, sockets for the gain resistors and the bass boost resistors, sockets for the opamps, and pots to more easily bias trim the board. The only difference between the two boards that I remember is that I used some polyester caps in one, and thin metal caps in the other, but I couldn't tell you which is which anymore. Both caps were recommended by Tangent in the parts list, and I was going to try each to see if I could hear a difference.

General shot of board 1

Top view of board 1

Side view of board 1

Top view of board 2. Both boards are virtually identical. This one has AD86210 opamps installed in the sockets.

These are the Kobiconn nickel RCA jacks I was going to install.

This is the Neutrik REAN, chrome nosed headphone jack I was going to install. The body of the headphone jack is not shown.

This is the push button switch I was going to use on the front panel as the main power switch.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 11
You could donate them to me, and I'll swap you for a CMOY 
biggrin.gif

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 11
rolleyes.gif

Too bad for you, I have fully functional and assembled CMOYs, MINTs, and I think a META in a box, too. I'll probably give them away to some local high school kids who need to know what "real" headphones sound like.
smily_headphones1.gif

I remember really loving the MINT...I should fire that sucker up for old time's sake.

Looking in that box full of DIY amps and headphones I never listen to any more (HD280 PRO and SR60), I remember why I had to leave Head-Fi. This stuff is addictive.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:32 AM Post #6 of 11
Nice find.  I preferred the sound of the PPA over the two M3 that I owned.  They are still very good topologies and design.  However, over the past years, a lot of designs have copied for cheap overseas from China and the likes and so, the performance level and sound isn't as exclusive as it once was.

There is a PPA v2 in a custom chassis for $250 with a sigma power supply and yet no bites as far as I know.  If I was you, I would post them for the cost of parts with negotiation room or trades of interest.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #8 of 11
Okay, I've posted it in the amplification section of the FS forum for the cost of parts minus somewhere around 20%.

Should be a really good deal for someone looking to get into a quality headphone amp.

Apr 21, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #10 of 11
That's why I already snapped one up!

Quote:
Hey!  Those are the old Glassman buffers!  That adds significantly to the "collectability," IMHO.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back