Strange noise from HD580 & unbalance problem
Feb 22, 2002 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Nattapong

Head-Fier
I just got my creek OBH-11 and HD580 for about a week or two. Since I am moving, I packed most of my stereo stuff except CD player and headphone rigs. I listened to it a lot... really really a lot. More than 12 hours a day , luckily I worked at home.. and I did spent some money on Dimazio extension cord.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, I have this problem. At certain frequency, I can hear unnatural noise which I guess it should not come from the source (recording). It sound like rattling of some sort. Like vibration of some parts inside headphone... I heard it only on left side. It is reproducable. I can play back and forth and still hear it. Anyone have had this experience before?

Another problem is... it seems not really balance i.e. certain frequency is lounder and others...
confused.gif

Anything I can do ?

Feb 22, 2002 at 4:18 AM Post #2 of 6
Try swapping the connections to the earpieces. They should pull right out, just swap 'em and plug them back in.

That way we can at least isolate if it is the headphone or something else.

(Note to language geeks: see, I used the singular! It is appropriate.)

Feb 22, 2002 at 9:05 PM Post #3 of 6
Strange you mentioned it. I have the same feeling sometimes when listening to my HD 580. Everytime in left ear. I have tried to reproduce it, but the results are not convincing and I am more and more suspecting some evil auto-suggestion here
wink.gif
I do not have this feeling with my closed Sony's MDR-CD470, but I had it with HD 565 also (though not so vivid).
There could be one explanation (at least in my case), since I have left ear slightly forward (it better captures highs from the side) and thus I hear defects on recording in left ear only, my right ear is completely parallel so it does not get the same input. And the difference is what bothers me. This effect also only exposes on stereo recordings, if I try mono signal, I cannot tell difference between right and left.
My advice is check your ears
smily_headphones1.gif
, or if you can get hold on other headphones (e.g. HD 600) try them on the same recording.

Feb 22, 2002 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 6
May be I should swap signal lines first.. or just flip over the headphone... Right now I misplace the CD that I have the most problem with... I have to browse around to find the one that have more problem... and maybe I will list it here.. so that others can try.

Feb 23, 2002 at 9:04 AM Post #5 of 6
If you can just swap the signals I would try it first. I have heard that Sennheiser cables could be hard to attach once removed, or they become loose after reattaching. I would try avoid that.

Feb 23, 2002 at 2:43 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah.. I found that the left cable doesn't really want to come off... I will try to swicth signal and see if it happen on R side or not. The track that have problem is.... Patricia Barber Cafe Blue 1 track ... Bye Bye Blackbird right around the first piano solo at 1:20" and after...

Well I have tried extensively to reproduce that sound. However, result's been not conclusive. I flip headphone around, still can hear over right side so it means not my ear but headphone. I will have to swap signal to see if it is because of which headphone side or just that particular part on any headphone.

Solo piano part here is quite unique ... she exploit a lot of pause ... like teasing with bass ... so there are plenty of air around notes.. this is why it is easy to hear this vibration.

Actually, changing volume make it disappear for now.. I still can't make it ring so that I can try swap signal...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back