Strange issue with my HD555's
Jun 20, 2008 at 6:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Duxxy

100+ Head-Fier
Simply put - i get a headache if i wear them normally.

I think it has to do with the angling of the drivers because when i have them set up correctly the sound stage seems to almost extend behind my ears. It sounds great but having the brightest sound constantly coming from that area just grates on me and within 20 minutes - headache city.
Wearing them backwards isn't as comfortable but it keeps the sound in an area that i'm more accustomed to.

So i was curious if anyone had ever run into something like this, if so what headphones would you recommend? I've previously owned multiple grados (no problems) and a pair of HD580's (don't remember a problem).

In the meantime I'm using my trust portapros.

Jun 20, 2008 at 4:33 PM Post #2 of 3
I've noticed too that their headstage expands behind your head. It must be from the surround reflectors in the backside of the cups. At first this felt a bit weird but got used to it and it doesn't bother me.
I tried them backwards out of curiosity and they sound muffled that way. Probably because this way the drivers are facing forward, away from the ears.

If you get headaches, you should try other phones that don't have any surround gimmickry (the HD595 have the reflectors too).

Jun 20, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks, i think i'll rebuy the HD580's
580smile.gif

and sell the HD555's

Users who are viewing this thread

Back