Strange hum in SOHA II (getting louder, turning into hiss and disappearing in about 3min)
Dec 2, 2010 at 5:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Sathimas

100+ Head-Fier
I have a strange problem with my SOHA II.

When I turn the amp on there's a relatively quiet hum in the background.
That hum does not change with the volume - it stays constant.

Over several minutes ( two or three ...) it becomes louder, then a quiet hiss joins in.
Then this hiss gets louder while the hum becomes quieter.
Both fade out together - then the amp is dead quiet.

The amp runs without problems apart from that - sounds wonderful!

I hope somebody has a clue...

Thx
Sathimas

Dec 2, 2010 at 5:45 PM Post #2 of 6
pull the tubes out, with the power off, then power it on.  is the noise still there?  it might be from the tube/input stage.  It sounds like a combination of electrical and transistor noise.  Check your solder joints, particularly on the input side, if there is no hiss with the tubes out.

Dec 12, 2010 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 6
I had this problem with my SOHA II when it was running a pair of 12AU7s, but I recently switched to the 6DJ8s and there is no hiss at start up anymore...
Also as a side note my amp seems to run cooler with the 6DJ8s but has lesser gain than the 12AU7s.

Edit: Weird I just rolled my 12AU7s in and it's different from before, I can now max the pot with out going deaf. They now have about the same gain as my 6DJ8s...
Maybe running the amp at 6.3v did something?

Edit2: Turns out one of the 12v inputs came loose *doh* everything back to normal now, I didn't think it would work with just one 12v input into it...interesting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back