Strange Frequency Response Graphs
May 10, 2008 at 5:13 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Those FR graphs are only valid till about 2000Hz due to measuring method. The higher frequencies need space to establish themselves, and these are nearfield measurements.

Nonsense. Nobody wants to know the headphone's actual frequency response, just the effective FR at the eardrum, which is why they use the measurement method they do, a dummy head with ears and microphones in the ears. When the headphone is on your head the high frequencies presumably do not have time to "establish themselves", so why would you want to measure it that way?

Quote:

Headphones actually measure relatively flat responses except dip down in the bass region.

I think anyone who has ever heard an HD650 or DT770 or similar headphone can call crap on this.

Quote:

You'd be surprised to see that there is actually very little HTRF built into most headphones. They have quite flat speaker-like responses.

Maybe electrostatic or planar headphones, but dynamics have severe dips and peaks in the treble, sometimes purposefully built into the headphone.

May 10, 2008 at 5:17 PM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what SPL was that tested at? did they take fletcher-munson into consideration?

uh why would it? fletcher munson is again based on sampling people's responses. although the different spl's will be perceived more similarly to the same person, it's still an average. might as well take strictly observed data.

May 10, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #18 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When the headphone is on your head the high frequencies presumably do not have time to "establish themselves", so why would you want to measure it that way?

Because they do establish themselves in the human ear, which does not collect the sound waves at a single point as in a microphone but on a plane. BTW, you're full of yourself. We've had this discussion before.

May 11, 2008 at 1:46 AM Post #19 of 21
Then in a dummy head, (like this one) whose ear has the same acoustic properties as the human ear, the high frequencies should be establishing themselves just fine, shouldn't they?

Also, I remember that whole thread. In the end, Tyll came in a shot you down so badly it was embarrassing.

May 11, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeus_hunt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So can Shure SE530 be less bassy compared to Etymotic ER6 ?

Sure, some very basic things like amount of bass can be roughly measured using frequency response charts, but its impossible to determine anything about the specific character of an earphone with said charts. The bass could be bloated and out of control. I'm just warning you that to base your selection of an earphone simply by looking at charts is not a good idea.

May 11, 2008 at 5:00 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by PiccoloNamek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then in a dummy head, (like this one) whose ear has the same acoustic properties as the human ear, the high frequencies should be establishing themselves just fine, shouldn't they?

Also, I remember that whole thread. In the end, Tyll came in a shot you down so badly it was embarrassing.

I think you should get yourself checked for early onset of alzheimer's syndrome. In any case, I've made my point and I have better things to do than get into another flamewar with you, so I'm unsubscribing to this thread. Have fun following me around the forum trying to flame me!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back