Strange ER-4P problem
Jun 6, 2003 at 4:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BlindSeer

Head-Fier
I'll probably end up contacting Etymotic Research about this in the next few days, but I figured maybe I'd get a faster initial response here.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got a used set of Ety ER-4Ps in the mail today. I used them for a few hours this morning and loved them- no problems with seal, comfort, or any of the other things new users seem to complain about. This evening, I wanted to clean the silicone tips, so I removed them, washed them, and left them out to dry. Meanwhile, I left the "naked" ER-4Ps sitting on my desk. Several hours later, I returned, ready for another listen, reattached the tips, and plugged the phones into my iPod. All of a sudden, the volume level is VERY low in both ears, as if a LOT more resistance got added out of nowhere. I need to crank my iPod up to full volume to come close to a normal listening level, but when I do, it sounds pretty similar to what I was hearing earlier today. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could have gone wrong here? I thought of replacing the filters, but it seems unlikely that they could have gotten clogged that quickly and reduced the volume so much (and so evenly in both ears). I'm really stumped, and I'd hate to have to send these in for repair after only a couple hours of listening. Any advice?

Jun 6, 2003 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 12
I have clogged my filters the same way. I left them exposed on a dusty table.

Another time, I dropped one earphone onto a dusty table while changing filters. Unfortunately, I dropped the ear phone that was just replaced with a new filter and that filter got clogged.

Tip: clean the surface around the area you are changing tips or filters. Preferably with a lint free towel and cleaning fluids.

Never try to leave your ety's lying around without the ear tips installed, otherwise the filter can be exposed. However, you should always store your ety's in a clean container when not in use and never place them on the table for one moment.

Another Tip: If you clean and recycle ear tips, clean them and dry them thorughly! Any water drops left inside the ear tip might contaminate the filter. To speed up the drying process, I usually use an air duster (compressed air) and blow out all the water inside the ear tips and then let them sit on a clean surface to dry normally.

Jun 6, 2003 at 6:12 AM Post #3 of 12
It sounds like your filters are clogged. When I clean my tips, I put a dry pair on immediately while I let the newly washed set dry.

Jun 6, 2003 at 9:22 AM Post #4 of 12
Ety rapes you on filters too. I ordered some $15 + $5 shipping for a tiny little package, with 6 tiny little filters. of course, they have the only source of filters, and damn right they know it.

Jun 6, 2003 at 11:06 AM Post #5 of 12
Whew, okay, that's good to hear. Thanks for the tips. That is pretty pricey for a new set of filters, but after what I heard yesterday morning, I don't mind supporting this company a little over time.
wink.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 6:31 PM Post #8 of 12
fwiw, your filters can last years if you are careful with the Etys and keep your ears clean. I think my first set went 3 years, and I only changed them out of curiosity. They still looked good under the microscope.

Water seems to be one of the main cloggers. Don't use the Etys until your ears are dried out.

Welcome to team Ety.

gerG

Jun 6, 2003 at 7:27 PM Post #9 of 12
I have the same filters for almost a year now and I don't notice and degradation. I feel like GerG in that I might change them just to see if I can notice the difference. I do take them with me when I travel so just in case they get clogged I have a spare set. Water may have been the culprit.

Jun 6, 2003 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 12
A word of warning for those who have had their filters in for a long time - when you do eventually change them you will find the sound unbearably bright for the first few hours!

Microscopically speaking, the chances of your filters being as clean as the day you got them is very remote - they have simply clogged up really slowly and 'gracefully' in a nice and balanced way.

NEVER WEAR YOUR ETY'S AFTER HAVING A BATH OR SHOWER. It is a very expensive and pointless listening session.

Jun 7, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #11 of 12
Hi Peddler.

I check the filters under a good scope every few months, and there are indeed surface contaminants that show up from time to time. I have a habit of blowing gently across the opening before I put them in, and that trick seems to take off most or all of the cling-ons. When I changed the filters after 3 years of use, there was no change in sound at all. Kind of a letdown, really.

gerG

Jun 7, 2003 at 7:04 AM Post #12 of 12
After I remove my ety's, I usually tap and click the opening of the tips to knock out any ear wax in the opening. Then I use a small stick like a toothpick to pick out anything deep inside the ear tips. I have to be careful not to accdientally push anything into the filters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back