Strange Electrical Anomaly - Please Help
Nov 7, 2016 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Andrew Rieger

500+ Head-Fier
So a quick introduction. I'm currently running a Schiit Modi Multibit via RCA into a Rupert Neve RNHP amp powering some Beyerdynamic DT1990's. I set up the stack originally in my apartment and have enjoyed many splendid hours of music without any trouble. I recently moved this same setup into my office at work, thats when things get strange.

So I have everything plugged into the same socket by my desk. When I run my hand along the surface of the Modi, I get this really freaky, uncomfortable buzzing/tingling sensation in my fingers, that same sensation goes away as soon as I hold my hand still. My Rupert Neve amp doesn't have the same surface buzzing, tingling but it seems to have less power output then when it was plugged into the wall at my house ( I could be imagining this, not sure if I'm crazy).

What could be causing this strange anomaly? Some googling doesn't turn up much except for some discussion on grounding issues with switching power supplies:  https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/strange-vibrating-feeling-when-touching-electronic-devices.192699/

Both the Neve and the Schiit use two prong wall wart supplies. It is possible that my office sockets aren't grounded properly? Could this potentially damage both of my components? I will note that in my house, the DAC and amp are plugged into a three socket extension cord terminated with three prongs while in my office the DAC and amp are plugged directly into the wall socket. This is strange and I have no idea what could be causing this. I will also note that there doesn't seem to be any loss in sound quality other than the perceived drop in power output from the amp. 

Has anyone else experienced this? 

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #2 of 4
Could be the wall sockets for sure. You could try to measure the voltage that may be coupling the the case and see if you can measure anything. Try another wall socket or two and you might have your answer.

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:24 PM Post #3 of 4
  Could be the wall sockets for sure. You could try to measure the voltage that may be coupling the the case and see if you can measure anything. Try another wall socket or two and you might have your answer.

I'm pretty much certain that the wall sockets have a grounding issue of some sorts but I'm now worried I could have damaged my gear in some way. 

No other sockets I have tested have this issue. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back