Strange earphone behaviour...
Sep 29, 2007 at 5:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vibez

Head-Fier
Guys,

I have been using my E4C earphones with Zune (unamped) for the last few weeks regularly. A few days ago, I noticed that the sound quality coming from the earphones was superb (tight bass, high detail, dont know how to explain it more but it was definitely much more 'real' and 'accurate to the source'). I really enjoyed that trip. But a day or so after that and ever since, I am still struggling to find the same quality of sound. Its as if the sound has just 'dropped' in quality - lesser bass, lesser detail etc. I am using the same (even a little higher) volume (upto 12) but to no avail. I use the triple rubber isolators for sound isolation. Can anyone tell me why this bad sound thingy is happening? I am very annoyed by this.

Thanks

p.s. I have used my gear for a total of one month of about one hour use a day, if this helps.

Sep 29, 2007 at 7:29 AM Post #2 of 11
Hiya,

What kind of tips do you use on your Shures? The foamies? - Just wondering if maybe you pushed the 'phones in your ears a little deeper than normal on 'that' day, which made everything snap into focus?

Just a thought?!

Sep 29, 2007 at 8:16 AM Post #3 of 11
well, i use the rubber triple flanged ones, they fit in very snuggly always. and yes, ive tried pushing them deeper into the ear canal, even holding them there with my hands...no improvement
frown.gif

Sep 30, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #5 of 11
The Triple flanges sound weirdly with the Etys. Maybe it's part of the problem.

Sep 30, 2007 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 11
But then, how come I got great sound that one time? I used triple flanges then as well..

Does it have anything to do with the burn-in period? Do E4Cs require burn-in? Whats the difference before and after burn-in and how many hours of use required to burn in fully?

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vibez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
?? Filters problem? meaning?

Inside the tube of the E4Cs (the angled part that you attach the triple flange to) is a little green piece of fabric / paper - This is there to collect earwax and other nasties... Anyways, over time (or if it gets wet) this gets clogged up and eventually gives up (when one of my filters gave up, the sound totally disappeared from one of the channels, got me paranoid for a while!!)... They probably need to be changed every 6-12 months for optimal sound (you get an extra pair of those angled tubes in the box, just a case of unscrewing the metal parts holding them onto the body of the earphone)...

Oct 1, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 11
it most likely is the filters and it only takes once. I have the e4's as well and one day i noticed that my left ear was quieter and lost the highs.

Took them apart abd found a piece of ear wax had been shoved in right on top of the hole. I guess it was lined up just right when i inserted it.

Anyway cleaned it and it's all good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back