Strange ear sensation since use my Grado sr60
Feb 18, 2007 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

lerio

500+ Head-Fier
I have a strange disagreeable sensation in my ear since a week, it’s not a ringing effect but rather like when you have water who come on you ear and you feel like you have a filter between you ear and the sound around you, one thing can explain more is that instinctively sometime i put a finger in my ear press, wait a moment and remove it fast, it make a effect like uncompressed or so.. and i ear better then (for a moment)

I have two hypothesis: i’am not yet familiar with much low frequency given by my Grado sr60 (Love that) or because i’am not using the “crossfeed filter” effect of a Amp

About low frequency i know that high frequency can cause damage at high level so i never listen at a volume when ear start to feel pain, and i never have ringing effect after listening knowing it’s the sign that we listen at too high volume, but for low frequency i don’t know if it’s the same, if i don’t feel pain when listening and no ringing after listening does it mean that my listening moment was safe for my ear ?

Or can be due to the fact that i don’t have a Amp who can create a “interchannel cross-feeding” or” natural crossfeed filter” to give a more comprehensible signal to the brain, i read somewhere that using good headphone without crossfeed filter can make “the brain misses logical clues for direction and this subconsciously results in mental stress. Some people cannot tolerate this stress and are unable to use headphones”

What’s you opinion ?

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:46 AM Post #2 of 14
Does it happen with any other source/amp?

Feb 18, 2007 at 11:53 AM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does it happen with any other source/amp?

Hard to tell cause i have this effect all day and i don't have any Amp yet

I think i had similar sensation a year ago, one day i was listening with my Sony MDR-V700 for long time, and i remember i had this effect too, but as i was not able to listen long time with my MDR-V700 because he have circum-aural i never listen more then 1 hours, but with my Grado i can listen Lot more

Feb 18, 2007 at 3:40 PM Post #4 of 14
Look like it's not a common problem, so maybe i'll just not have to worry about that (i didn't used my Grado sr60yet since yesterday...)
cool.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #5 of 14
Much like going up in a plane you have a pressure feeling in your ears, this is commonly called barometric ears! I have this same problem on ocassion especially when the barometric pressure in your region changes ...NOT necessarly indirectly from the headphones but it will iratate it at times...The way you clear them is the way you stated by using your finger or drinking some water...The swallowing reflex automatically should clear your ears of the pressure...Same affect is like going up in an airplane...For further advise get a check up from an ear nose and throat doc...can't hurt for a check up AND do not at any time abuse your hearing by listening to loud levels for extended periods of time ....Hope this helps and it will go away mine has and only on rare ocassions does it become bothersome...Enjoy be well ...
rs1smile.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphone Crazed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Much like going up in a plane you have a pressure feeling in your ears, this is commonly called barometric ears! I have this same problem on ocassion especially when the barometric pressure in your region changes ...NOT necessarly indirectly from the headphones but it will iratate it at times...The way you clear them is the way you stated by using your finger or drinking some water...The swallowing reflex automatically should clear your ears of the pressure...Same affect is like going up in an airplane...For further advise get a check up from an ear nose and throat doc...can't hurt for a check up AND do not at any time abuse your hearing by listening to loud levels for extended periods of time ....Hope this helps and it will go away mine has and only on rare ocassions does it become bothersome...Enjoy be well ...
rs1smile.gif

What you discribe is Exactly what i have, now i know it's called barometric ears
lambda.gif

As i said i never listen to high volume (iam drummer and i know about that)

Maybe my ear just have to be familiarised with Real headphone compare to what i used before
cool.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #7 of 14
I have a similar problem with my Grado HF-1s. I only listened to three songs yesterday at a low-medium volume level. Definitely not a level that would cause any sort of ear-pain. I still got this type of sensation. I haven't listened to headphones in quite awhile because i've developed tinnitus over the years. It's very minor but i'm trying to keep it from getting worse. Yesterday I figured what the hell and decided to listen to a few songs through these amazing phones hoping I wouldn't get that familiar sensation. Well, I did. It's very disappointing because I love the way these sound SO MUCH!

After listening to Grados my ears typically feel like I have cotton or something in them. Sort of like having earplugs in. Ambient sounds are a bit dull. My deep inner ear seems tired, or stressed. Nothing real painful or anything - just doesn't feel right.
mad.gif
I'll get this sensation for a day or two... which is followed by hanging up the phones for a few months and trying again way down the road.

Feb 18, 2007 at 4:56 PM Post #9 of 14
I get this also, I found it to be the physical pressure of the headphones on my ears while listening. I rigged up these pads so that the cans just barely touch my ears. It's just foam of medium stiffness with a little hair rubber band from Wal-mart wrapped around the foam and attached to the post. (I'll call them 'Brado Pads'.)

Brad

i32090_MG6604.jpg

i32088_MG6611.jpg

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I get this also, I found it to be the physical pressure of the headphones on my ears while listening. I rigged up these pads so that the cans just barely touch my ears. It's just foam of medium stiffness with a little hair rubber band from Wal-mart wrapped around the foam and attached to the post. (I'll call them 'Brado Pads'.)

Brad

So you sport you Grado's K1000-style eh?

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could it also be some earwax built up against the eardrum?

No, since i got that i cleaned particularly my ear, that didn't change anything
frown.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by bdh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Brad

I don't feel or have any pression with my Grado sr60, i knew headphone who had Lot more pression and never give me that effect

Grado users here who have this problem: does you use interchannel cross-feeding” or” natural crossfeed filter” of you Amp ?? Read the info i wrote above about that
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by lerio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't feel or have any pression with my Grado sr60, i knew headphone who had Lot more pression and never give me that effect

Grado users here who have this problem: does you use interchannel cross-feeding” or” natural crossfeed filter” of you Amp ?? Read the info i wrote above about that
blink.gif
blink.gif
blink.gif

I don't use a headphone amp. I've read that it doesn't make that much of a difference with Grados since they are so sensitive.

Feb 18, 2007 at 7:17 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrEcted1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't use a headphone amp. I've read that it doesn't make that much of a difference with Grados since they are so sensitive.

Interesting.. maybe what i talked about earlier is the cause of this problem so: a need for a Amp who can create a “interchannel cross-feeding” or” natural crossfeed filter” to give a more comprehensible signal to the brain, i read somewhere that using good headphone without crossfeed filter can make “the brain misses logical clues for direction and this subconsciously results in mental stress. Some people cannot tolerate this stress and are unable to use headphones”
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back