Strange diymod lod behaviour
Apr 24, 2009 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dazzer1975

Headphoneus Supremus
Made a lod with two sonicraft 3.3uf capacitors for my 5th gen diymod.

Plugged it in everything seemed to be working great and the sound was good, then I paused music playback and moved the pot on the amp up and down the volume and there was a sort of low static like noise on the right channel.

So, I unplugged the amp and left the lod into the ipod and measured with my dmm across the tip of the mini plug... nothing, tip to middle section... nothing, tip to ground...nothing but when I measure from ground to right channel on the plug of the 3.5mm jack im reading 1.48 volts.

Is this a solder bridge? a duff cap, what?

I am guessing solder bridge even though continuity was coming back clean before I finished everything off and sealed it up so I am unsure as to what the problem could be?

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #3 of 5
Do you have pictures? 1.48V on the right channel doesn't sound like a bridge; it'd read ~0.00V. I would check the inside of that diyMod. It's easy to get the wire ends to touch stuff they shouldn't be. Snap some macro pics if you can.

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #4 of 5
On the second capped lod I rigged up everything reads zero so obviously isnt the diymod, I had cocked up the first lod somehow I presumed it must have been a bridge. Usually when I have made lods before they have just been for my regular ipods so I use pins 2, 3 and 4. Anyway this time I thought i'd try using pin 15 to create a bit of space for the caps and wiring etc.

The second capped dock I made after the first one which gave me that reading of 1.48v I used pins 2, 3 and 4 as normal and its all fine reading zero everywhere and the noise has gone from the right channel. No idea what is happening as I thought pin 15 was fine for ground?

the diymod is perfect, pictures isn't perfect as it isnt a great macro camera, however you should be able to save that pic and then zoom in on it to see its free from any soldering troubles. I found the diymod easier to do than making these bloody lods, far less fiddly.

pic to come just uploading to photobucket now

Apr 24, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #5 of 5
DSC02830.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back