Strange DIY Speaker Idea
Oct 27, 2003 at 1:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

D-EJ915

He...or is it she...is a......Headphoneus Supremus
Instead of the conventional Tweeter-Woofer model, I was thinking about making a Woofer-Woofer design with a "full-range" as the high driver.

I was thinking about the TANG BAND W3-879S 3"...Parts Express Page
264-810m.jpg

I was wondering if I should use a 6 1/2" or a 7/8" driver as the bass unit, or should I just make a Full-Full design and have a 8/12" sub design?

I really like the Audax Carbon Fibre woofers, by the way
biggrin.gif

I voted for the first one just so I could automatically see the results...sue me

Oct 27, 2003 at 1:59 AM Post #3 of 12
The 871S look like they have more of a brightness to them, I wouldn't like that...imo the 879S would be better, and it's prettier, judging on how cheap they are, and how similar, I could get both units and just install them both
wink.gif

you know of any other DIY Speaker sites that sell TB drivers??

Oct 27, 2003 at 2:32 AM Post #8 of 12
the tangbands get down to 100hz fine. so, i don't see the point in using them with a bass driver in the same cabinet. it would just make things a lot more complicated as you'd need a crossover and a much larger cabinet.

just use a separate subwoofer and keep the tangbands in the tiny 3L cabinet.

Oct 28, 2003 at 12:50 PM Post #9 of 12
hey i am interested in DIY speakers, and was wondering how something such as this (the tangbang tweeters and a sub) would compare to a comercial model. I am also currently looking @ comercial speakers, but if i can get better sound quality while spending the same amt of money (<$200) then i would choose DIY for sure

Oct 29, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #12 of 12
You mean a lot of bass impact from the mains themselves, not really, these are more of a High-Mid-upperbass driver, that's why they need a sub that can handle the rest of the bass...they can become pretty active though, I'm using some of mine right now (W3-594S)

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...D=117925&DID=7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back