Strange defect w/ my Sony D-NE330 pcdp
Jun 13, 2006 at 11:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

photek

100+ Head-Fier
I'm hoping someone can help me figure out if this is a defect in just my unit, or all of them. I started noticing these buzz sounds when listening to mp3s, at first I thought "hmm I must have botched the encoding somehow" but thats not the case as every mp3 file does it at exactly 38-40 seconds into the song, every single time, every single file. It only happens when the AC adapter is plugged to it. Does this happen to anyone else? I found out by playing the mp3 at the lowest volume, and saw every 38-40 seconds a buzz sound will occur, its very annoying.

1. happens 38-40 seconds into an mp3 song and periodically throughout the song, and only happens with mp3s
2. happens only when ac adapter is being used.
3. this doesnt happen on my Sony D-NE320 (2005 model) at all
4. does not happen on music cds at all, and no buzzing occurs when using batterys, just when playing mp3s with the ac adapter.

I'll have to take it back, I just want to know if I should get my money back or trade it for another, which is what I want to do. I always leave my ac adapter plugged into the unit overnight, is that bad? I do hear a hiss sound when the ac is hooked up and the unit isnt even on, so I guess the unit is kinda on standby? It didnt seem this way with the 320, of course I can't hear any hint of a hiss when the unit is on like the 330. Also the ac adapter is a gameboy advanced ac adapter, however it outputs 3v which is the input for the Sonys, never had a problem with my 320 using this gameboy ac adapter.

Jun 13, 2006 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 5
The cd player must be buffering the audio to its memory. But then again, if the humming is that noticeable, I guess there's something wrong. Take it back to the store and get another one.

Jun 14, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 5
mine doesn't have that problem, I would suggest getting it exchange for the same model. The first D-NE330 I bought had problems reading certain disc and it was more prone to skipping, maybe we got to a bad batch. The D-NE330 I have now is flawless though.

Jun 16, 2006 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 5
hmm, I have a week to take it back still, I think I will. I've done some testing, trial and error stuff, with weird results.

The mp3s I encode are always LAME

with 320kbps stereo lame files, the buzz starts at 40 seconds into the song
with preset -V5 lame mp3, it starts around 50 seconds into it
---
unknown encoders
with an old 128kbps mp3, it started at 1:40 into the song
an mp3 I download off the internet, 128kbps buzzing starts at 1:43
160kbps mp3 I downloaded, 1:20 into the song

I have no idea what it could be. I'll take it back though, I hope my new one wont do this. Does anyone who own it think they can test it? It only happens with mp3s, and when using the ac adapter, and turn the volume all the way down so your sure to hear it, but the volume doesnt make the sound any quieter or louder so I'm sure its the cd player itself. Also the mp3s in question work fine on other devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back