Strange crispy noise on high notes - Sennheiser HD 598
Dec 17, 2013 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

ShiroAri

New Head-Fier
Hi, I just got some HD 598s because I wanted a taste of good quality cans without spending too much, I've read they don't perform really well on bass, not that im a basshead, but they do pretty well on high tones wich will be what im interested in.

I use mobo integrated sound (Asus z87-plus, don't know if it has good integrated soundcard or whatever), First I noticed is that I don't get too much volume output, even after turning everything to 100%, I'ts OK, but I would like a bit more power.

The thing is that when volume is on 100% I can hear some strange alteration on the sound when some songs reach really high notes, like some crispy crappy effect you get on low quality files (192kbps or less), I notices that it gets worse if I activate DTS Ultra PC II so that's out of question in terms of using it.

If I turn the volume a bit down I stop hearing that, but the volume is not enough for my enjoyment.

After searching for a while i can't get to find anything about this crispy sound issue, I don't really know how to call it, it's like some kind of slight distortion.

I don't exactly know whats causing this, but im guessing its becouse of the "not that classy" motherboard integrated audio.

Anyways, what I'd like to ask is what do I need to buy to get rid of that annoying issue, I'm considering buying a Sound Card like Sound Blaster Z or Titanium HD but if a Fiio E6 amp will do the job I'd go with that. I heard these soundcards have headphone amps build in, but im not really sure if the Titanium does.

Also I'd appreciate if someone can tell me what's this phenomenon called and why does it happen.

Thanks for reading.

Dec 17, 2013 at 4:39 PM Post #3 of 8
Mmmm. I don't know too much about your Asus z87-plus, but based on this page, it seems like a decent performer:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_z87plus/10.htm

1) From the manual here:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1150/Z87-PLUS/E7831_Z87-PLUS.pdf

Make sure you connect your cans to the lime colored audio port (page 2-15).

2) I dunno about the output impedance. This post indicates it's 2 ohms, but I don't see it in the manual and don't have the spec he is referring to:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/29593-asus-xonar/?p=378630

If it's 2 ohms, the HD598 should be fine.

Try a DAP or another PC with your HD598s to make sure your cans are not damaged. It could also be that your motherboard is damaged.

Also, I think a Fiio E6 should be able to drive your HD598s fine.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 8
After some days of use i though it went away but im hearing it back again, this is strange, is something wrong with my ears? If I lower down the volume just a little bit it goes away.

I noticed that if I plug my cans to my Speakers frontal line (Creative Sound Blaster T40 II) in this distortion dissapears, maybe couse of the speaker has a DAC or something.

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 8
If I had to guess I'd say it's the motherboard sound that is the issue. Every computer I have ever plugged into, with integrated audio, makes some very interesting noises from time to time including what I can only describe as it processing things. I can literally hear random activity at times. My laptop does it. I would definitely think that is the issue.

Dec 23, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #7 of 8
  After some days of use i though it went away but im hearing it back again, this is strange, is something wrong with my ears? If I lower down the volume just a little bit it goes away.

I noticed that if I plug my cans to my Speakers frontal line (Creative Sound Blaster T40 II) in this distortion dissappears, maybe cause of the speaker has a DAC or something.

The Sound Blaster T40 does not have a DAC (Digital to analog converter), its pure analog.

Computer's have "electrical noise" inside the computer case.
I would guess making a "noiseless" motherboard would guess raise the cost of the motherboard to a point where you would end up buying another brand.
So the motherboard designer can only do so much with a given "cost of manufacturing".

The Asus Xonar DG sound card, $27 and there is a $10 mail in rebate this month.
The Xonar DG is a cheap way for "trying" to fix the noise issue.

Otherwise the FiiO E10 USB-DAC-Amp ($75) is connected digitally to the outside of the computer case, it should improve the audio quality of the headphones and the speakers.

Oct 6, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Sorry for reviving this old post, i hear the same crispy sound on high notes. They sound harsh imo. People said that  they have one of the best treble presentations ever. I dont hear that. Cymbals do not sound right to me .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back