Strange crackle/static in left channel
Feb 23, 2017 at 5:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Royal Amethyst

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all.
So lately I've been noticing a strange intermittent noise on the left side of my headphones when I'm using my Modi 2 Uber + Valhalla 2 setup. I've tested it with more than one headphone to make sure it's not them. I'm also not getting it when I use my FiiO E10K. So I'm pretty sure I've isolated it to my tube amp or dac.
Basically, when I'm not listening to anything, or when the music is very quiet, I occasionally get a weird burst of quiet white noise in the left channel. It sounds like a combination of a crackle and static, like someone is playing with styrofoam packing peanuts in my left ear. I've tried pulling and gently cleaning my Valhalla tubes (which are the original Schiit) using an online guide I found, but that didn't help. I've also heard that having a tube amp plugged into a surge protector with your other electronics can be bad too, and that you should always have it plugged directly into the wall. Not sure how true that is, it kind of sounds like the old "dirty power" new age BS.
Any insight you guys could give would be highly appreciated. I like my E10K, but I miss my tube amp sound.

Mar 3, 2017 at 7:59 AM Post #3 of 10
Try seeing whether the issue is your DAC or your amp. If you can isolate it to the tube amp, since it's only affecting one side, try swapping out the left and right tube. If the issue swaps to the right side, then it's probably the tubes and you need new ones. If nothing changes and the issue persists on the left channel, then contact Schiit support. If the issue is isolated to the DAC, contact Schiit support.

Mar 31, 2017 at 3:54 AM Post #4 of 10
  Try seeing whether the issue is your DAC or your amp. If you can isolate it to the tube amp, since it's only affecting one side, try swapping out the left and right tube. If the issue swaps to the right side, then it's probably the tubes and you need new ones. If nothing changes and the issue persists on the left channel, then contact Schiit support. If the issue is isolated to the DAC, contact Schiit support.

Well, it's definitely the tubes. I swapped them and the distortion switched to the right channel. I could order a new set from Schiit for just under $50, but I'm taking recommendations if anyone knows a cheaper option.

Mar 31, 2017 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 10

Well, it's definitely the tubes. I swapped them and the distortion switched to the right channel. I could order a new set from Schiit for just under $50, but I'm taking recommendations if anyone knows a cheaper option.

Maybe this would help? 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619910/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread
Or not considering it's head-fi and you probably end up spending more...

But the Valhalla 2 accepts any of the following types of tubes, 6N1P/6DJ8/6922/ECC88/ECC85/6BZ7, so anything cheaper than $50 for both pairs would work.

I never really liked the stock tubes for the Valhalla 2 anyways, sounded way to much like a solid state amp so maybe this is a great opportunity to try some different tubes!

Mar 31, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #6 of 10
  Maybe this would help? 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/619910/schiit-valhalla-tube-rolling-thread
Or not considering it's head-fi and you probably end up spending more...

But the Valhalla 2 accepts any of the following types of tubes, 6N1P/6DJ8/6922/ECC88/ECC85/6BZ7, so anything cheaper than $50 for both pairs would work.

I never really liked the stock tubes for the Valhalla 2 anyways, sounded way to much like a solid state amp so maybe this is a great opportunity to try some different tubes!

I do have a question about the Valhalla tubes. I know practically nothing about tubes in general, so bear with me here. The Valhalla has two sets of tubes. A "tall" pair and a "short" pair. Output tubes are 6N6P, input tubes are 6N1P, though I don't know which are the "tall" ones and which are the "short" ones. The tubes you quoted include "6N6P" which I assume means all of those alternative tubes are output tubes. Do I need to find new input tubes too? What types are accepted for them? Should I buy matched pairs only, or can I buy two singles?

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 10

I do have a question about the Valhalla tubes. I know practically nothing about tubes in general, so bear with me here. The Valhalla has two sets of tubes. A "tall" pair and a "short" pair. Output tubes are 6N1P, input tubes are 6N6P, though I don't know which are the "tall" ones and which are the "short" ones. The tubes you quoted include "6N1P" which I assume means all of those alternative tubes are output tubes. Do I need to find new input tubes too? What types are accepted for them? Should I buy matched pairs only, or can I buy two singles?

The short ones are the 6N1P, the tall are the 6N6P. The 6N1P are the input and the 6N6P are the output. Assuming the problem is only with the input tubes, the 6N1P or other compatible tubes (as listed above) can be used to replace them. If the issue is with the output tubes (6N6P), I'd just get the Schiit stock ones. I would only buy matched pairs or else the left and right channel might sound a bit wonky.

Mar 31, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #8 of 10

The short ones are the 6N1P, the tall are the 6N6P. The 6N1P are the input and the 6N6P are the output. Assuming the problem is only with the input tubes, the 6N1P or other compatible tubes (as listed above) can be used to replace them. If the issue is with the output tubes (6N6P), I'd just get the Schiit stock ones. I would only buy matched pairs or else the left and right channel might sound a bit wonky.

Oops, I lifted the info directly from Schiit's website, how could I mix them up when I typed them out? So, how would I be able to tell if they were input or output tubes that are causing the distortion? I suppose I'll have to swap input and output tubes separately and see whether the distortion moves with the inputs or the outputs, but boy! What a hassle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back