Strange case of bad sounding drivers
Aug 5, 2015 at 6:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aairria

New Head-Fier
Hi there.

I've got a weird problem but maybe somebody here would have a better guess than mine.
After recabling two drivers I've tested them without casings and the sound was ok. Now after a few weeks I'm finally putting them into their new home but suddenly the sound is remarkably off - like if you take song's background sounds and put them in front and the ones which were in front are gone. Some frequencies are very loud, some are gone.
What could've happened? Did my initial hearing test was wrong and I just didn't notice? Did I maybe mismatch solder points on drivers? I truly have no idea what the cause might be so any help is greatly appreciated.

Aug 6, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #3 of 8
What kind of casing? Open or close type?
blink.gif

Aug 6, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm putting JVC HA-S500 drivers into Technics EAH-T7 :). But the issue persists with them in casing or without it.

Have no idea how I didn't hear this earlier. But it seems there's no choice - I've got some resoldering to do. Will try switching wires on one of the drivers and I'll post if it helped or not.

Aug 7, 2015 at 12:37 AM Post #5 of 8
That sounds like a short to me. You might be bridging the right and left signals. I get that sometimes when I'm not paying attention, but it might just be a matter of you insulating the drivers and wires enough to not run into that issue. I've worked on both of those headphones and not had any issues. So it should be doable, just look out of points of metal on metal contact. Even if it might be piercing the wire insulation.

Aug 8, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 8
So it turned out there was a short in my jack plug. And I even managed to make it worse while trying to fix it so it needs to be made anew. I hate my soldering skills :frowning2:.
Thanks for help everyone. I'll surely be more careful in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back