Strange bass vibration with Audio Technica CM7
Dec 2, 2006 at 10:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bas82

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone!

I've read with great attention the threads and reviews referred to the CM7s before buying them, and I was hooked by what everyone said about these.

I finally found ones used here in Argentina -they are not officially imported, so I had to wait to find someone who was selling used ones- and I have to say that I am very satisfied with these headphones, they do sound absolutelly brilliant.

However, I noticed a strange vibration when listening to deep bass sections. I'm using them with a Philips eXpanium 313 cd player -I think it's a 313, it's the red one-, listening either cds or 320kbps mp3s. For example, when listening to Bach's cello suites executed by either Pau Casals or Paul Tortelier, I can hear a strange vibration on the drivers, that does not belong to the music. Listening also to Mike Patton's Peeping Tom cd, I can also hear these strange vibration, and with pretty much any song that hass strong basses (3rd movement of Verano, by Vivaldi, another example, which by the way is brilliant, or Round About a Bass, by Pierre Michelot, Jazz in Paris).

A side note, I can note only these vibration at high volumes (>60%), or at >50% when activating the DBB (Dynamic Bass Boost, Philips calls it that way). Below 50% or 40% percent of volume, with with DBB on or off, I don't hear these vibration. 40% of volume is my usual listening volume in any circumstance -well, in my house or at work it's even lower-.

My doubt is if the previous owner did break something inside the drivers by using these at extreme high volumes, or if these just need some burn in. As he said, they were little used, as he imported these a month ago, just to find out that they would come off his ears. He showed me his very well used in-ear plugs, a pair Panasonic headphones, which would make it clear that indeed he didn't use the CM7 too much. They do not show excessive wear, and he used them with the foam pads included with the headphones.

Could it be that they're damaged, or they just need some burn in?

Thanks in advance people!

Sebastian.

Dec 2, 2006 at 11:07 PM Post #2 of 3
IMO sounds like it could be a loose driver. do a search on the koss a130 driver rattle and you'll see what i mean. i have a pair of junk panasonic headphones that also rattle a bit. but i am no expert with the headphones in question, so i could be mistaken.

Dec 4, 2006 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 3
Wow this forum goes fast...

I also think that it could be that, a rattling from a loose driver. However, I have no idea of how to take apart these earbuds. A standard headphone shouldn't be difficult, but these ones I don't pretty much were to start (after taking out the foam pad and the little rubber ring). It seems that I'd need to take apart the glue that is attaching the metal web against the aluminum driver case, but I'm not very sure if that's the way to go.

Does someone know, at least in general terms, how to take apart earbuds like the AT CM7?

Thanks in advance gentlemen.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back