Strange Audiophile Girl
Jun 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

sofia88

New Head-Fier
HI everyone there in this audiophile corner of the world...

I must say i'm barely new in this kind of music entertainment and audiophile life.

Actually im a proud owner of some Audiotechnica's Ad700 ( the cute purple one's) and i've been using them for at least 6 months and I can say I'm so happy with the sound they've delivered so far, but as I am a very curious girl and want to continue to expand my taste on headphones,

I'm looking forward in getting the HD600's . I've read so many reviews , but this will be my first question to an open forum, filled up with so many "audiophile connoiseurs".

I'm the type of girl that loves any kind of music : from Pavarotti, going through Herbie Hancock, Ella Fitzgerald, Blues, Rock, electro...well the list is endless...

So , guys, what do you think of me getting these go pair of "cans"... 

I'm willing to spend up to $400...

Actually I use a FiiO E07k DAC Amp... 

thanks in advance...

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 33
Personally, I think the HD600 doesn't really sound good unless it has a much better amp (than the Fiio E07K) to accompany it.

From your preference it looks to me like you like music with vocals in them, so you definitely want something with a midrange emphasis.

Have you looked at any of Audio Technica's other offerings in the $400 price range? If you hit up the for sale section of Head-Fi, you can pick up something like the ATH-W1000X, which doesn't really require a crazy amp to sound its best. Audio Technica is actually known for good midrange emphasis, which is basically saying... they're good for vocals.

Alternatively, I think Sennheiser HD650 and JDS Labs O2 amp is a good combo if you can stretch your budget a bit. Or Hifiman HE-400 and Fiio E12.

Or keep the AD700 and get a tube amp for it to bring out the midrange?

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #3 of 33
Hi Bill,

Thanks for replying, as i posted earlier , i like any kind of music, i just wrote Pavarotti or Fitzgerald to name a few, but also im onto jazz, classical music, rock , blues , electro, country, trip-hop...you name it... 

I've checke the AT 1000x , which i also found interesting, I just get interested in the HD 600's cause their impedance, and as i Have read, a High impedance delivers even more quality, or am i barking to the wrong tree?

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 33
High impedance doesn't necessarily translate to better quality.

For instance, the Beyerdynamics DT880 600 Ohm is definitely inferior to the Sennheiser HD800 (300 Ohm) by consensus. (edit: or if not by consensus, then simply because I've met my fair share of those who prefer the HD800 to the DT880)

And many high quality headphones like the Hifiman HE-400, HE-500, HE-600, Audeze LCD-2, Audio Technica ATH-W3000ANV, W5000, etc... are all low impedance.

Impedance is just a part of amplification requirements (the other being sensitivity). Other than that, I'd think they serve very little purpose in how "good" a headphone really is, unless someone can show empirical evidence that points to otherwise.

And in fact, some may prefer headphones with low impedance (around 30 - 40 ohm range) and high sensitivity simply because those generally don't require a lot of (if any at all) amplification to sound their best.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM Post #5 of 33
The only real way to find a pair is to test them. See if there is a meet in your area or a convention. Else, buy test return. Many musicians stores have some nice senns, beyers and akgs.

And welcome!

edit: Your amp is fine to get sound out of the selected headphones. A better amp will only increase SQ in percentages under 5. For some that is HUGE for others, me included, the headphones make the sound, not the amp. Of course an amp upgrade from a small fiio is worth it, but if I had to choose I'd spend my budget on headphones. I also don't believe in cables sound or burn in, that puts me squarely into one side of the forums beliefs but I like it here.

Enjoy the hobby, that is what really counts. And the music.

Jun 22, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #6 of 33
HD600s are great, and wonderful choice to get started. I would recommend you get the E009K to pair with your Andes, or get the Schiit Mod/Magni. That would be a very budget-oriented great rig in my opinion. Nice way to get your feet wet without spending a ton of cash.

Jun 22, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #7 of 33
Hey Sofia,

My tastes are very similar to yours and you will not regret the HD600, trust me on this. Very well rounded, excellent timbre. I am unsure about your amp but if it can power it then it'll be fine. There's not a lot of difference between low-mid end amps anyway.

If you're not prepared to shell a grand on an HD800, an HD600 is your best bet for a headphone. 

ps. I'm already out of the headphone hobby - the HD600 happens to kick me out.
beerchug.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 8:38 PM Post #8 of 33
Quote:
edit: Your amp is fine to get sound out of the selected headphones. A better amp will only increase SQ in percentages under 5. For some that is HUGE for others, me included, the headphones make the sound, not the amp. Of course an amp upgrade from a small fiio is worth it, but if I had to choose I'd spend my budget on headphones. I also don't believe in cables sound or burn in, that puts me squarely into one side of the forums beliefs but I like it here.

Enjoy the hobby, that is what really counts. And the music.

Just wanna point out something...

The Fiio E07K is actually not so powerful that it can drive 300 Ohm headphones. Fiio has carefully listed its specifications as being able to drive headphones within 16 - 100 Ohm.

http://www.fiio.com.cn/products/index.aspx?MenuID=105026002

So actually, she does need a much more powerful amp than her Fiio E07K to drive the HD600.

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:24 PM Post #10 of 33
Hi Bill,

You seem to know something about that, well I just wanted to know a little more about the impedance on the headphones , so I think i dont need to look for headphones with that level of impedance right? 

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #11 of 33
Hi ev13ewt!

So are you saying those fancy tubes amps they sell and very confusing devices aren't worth it? Like, its better to spend in some good cans rather than in some amps?

Sorry if I'm pissing some audiophiles with my questions, but Im new in this area, whic I really want to fully understand it 
L3000.gif

And yes, IM REALLY ENJOYING THIS HOBBY THAT STARTED WHEN I FIRST LISTENED TO PINK FLOYD'S DARK SIDE OF THE MOON VINYL... WHEN I WAS ONLY 8 ... JUST SAYING
beyersmile.png

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #12 of 33
hI M-13 !

Actually im really considering in getting the FiiO E09K Amp to pair it with my Andes... well that if I go for the HD600's...

Tell me, in your personal experience, how do the HD600's develop? 

Could you be somewhat detailed?
tongue.gif

thks

Jun 23, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #13 of 33
Hi nikp!

Oh you are the one who has them... sorry my bad ... well , i'll do the same question to you as well 

Tell me, in your personal experience, how do the HD600's develop? 

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 33
Hi, I've had the HD600s for about a year and a half now and they are likely to be my stopping point.  I have been an audiophile for about 4 years now and have experienced more costly headphone setups featuring the Audeze LCD2s and have heard some of the best speaker systems money can buy.  Despite my extensive experiences with much costlier methods of sound reproduction the HD600s are so close that the extra expense seems silly.  Feed them a good signal and some decent amplification and they will reward you with near top of the line sound for a fraction of that cost.

That said the reason the 600s have so enthralled me is that they present a very life-like timbre in a way that's enveloping and luxurious.  I would liken it to that first cup of coffee in the morning.  They have a fantastically natural mid-range and play nicely with many different genres.  I too enjoy many styles of music ranging from classical to metal to alternative to pop etc.  

When I started out with headphones I was lost as well, I didn't really know which way to turn but the members of this forum made one thing abundantly clear.  Sennheiser's HD6X0s series haven't been around 15+ years without reason.  

Feel free to PM for more info, I feel the post is beginning to be long winded 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2013 at 5:18 PM Post #15 of 33
Quote:
Hi, I've had the HD600s for about a year and a half now and they are likely to be my stopping point.  I have been an audiophile for about 4 years now and have experienced more costly headphone setups featuring the Audeze LCD2s and have heard some of the best speaker systems money can buy.  Despite my extensive experiences with much costlier methods of sound reproduction the HD600s are so close that the extra expense seems silly.  Feed them a good signal and some decent amplification and they will reward you with near top of the line sound for a fraction of that cost.

That said the reason the 600s have so enthralled me is that they present a very life-like timbre in a way that's enveloping and luxurious.  I would liken it to that first cup of coffee in the morning.  They have a fantastically natural mid-range and play nicely with many different genres.  I too enjoy many styles of music ranging from classical to metal to alternative to pop etc.  

When I started out with headphones I was lost as well, I didn't really know which way to turn but the members of this forum made one thing abundantly clear.  Sennheiser's HD6X0s series haven't been around 15+ years without reason.  

Feel free to PM for more info, I feel the post is beginning to be long winded 
biggrin.gif

Annnd.. there you go Sofia. I like them for the same reason: timbre. 
bigsmile_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back