Straight headphone out or through speakers?
Jul 8, 2008 at 10:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

elmer_42

100+ Head-Fier
My computer speakers (Creative Itrigue L3800) have a headphone out on them. Would it be preferable to run headphones straight out of the computer or through the speaker's headphone out?

[size=xx-small]Note: I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, I am not sure what I would search to find a topic like this.[/size]

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #2 of 6
I would think the more direct route would be better. But why not try both and see what sounds more to your liking.
cool.gif

Jul 8, 2008 at 10:38 PM Post #3 of 6
if the headphone jack on the speakers is amplified by the speaker amp, it might provide a benefit, especially if your headphones are power hungry. If you have efficient headphones, dont mess with the speakers headphone jack.

Jul 8, 2008 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 6
Originally I had one theory of why each of them would be better. The speakers, since they are a more dedicated source of power because they are plugged into the wall, would give more power and thus more clarity at lower levels. However, the direct headphone out would be better because it doesn't go through whatever the speakers do to it, resulting in a cleaner sound. My theories may be incorrect, but they make sense to me. I guess I'll try both once my new SR-80s get here.

Jul 9, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Give it a shot - personally I notice no difference between the back panel jack on my X-Fi and the headphone jack on my current speakers, but with my old speakers SQ was noticeably worse using the headphone jack on their "remote".

Jul 9, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #6 of 6
the Sound output is amped.

I went to an Audio equipment shop & the guy had the headphones coming out through speakers headphone jack. I wanted to tell him to put them on the players out but since he owns an audio equipment shop.. i guess he knows better.

Thats when i tried it on my speakers. until finally i bought an external soundcard.

(remember the $20 sound improving thread?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back